Sunday, March 23, 2008

Losing control

I have an on-going theme of trying not to feel I should control every situation. Today I have to say this approach is paying dividends.

At first you might expect this to be about Ellie. On this occasion, she's doing her toddler thing. She wants my glass of juice. And has to hold the glass herself. Relax I tell myself. Let her have a go. It's okay I think, I'll get it back in a moment. But then she dunks her hot cross bun in. Soggy. Then! She goes on to finish all my juice. Little stinker.

Of course she's not a little stinker really. We had a big family lunch yesterday and she made me very proud with her self-feeding. She's also getting good at saying 'bless you' whenever someone sneezes.

But the person who's really taking up the slack when I want to let go of control is Ricarro. Here's the evidence. This weekend he has:
  • spent time with my family over two days. They aren't hardwork, but nonetheless...
  • done the weekly shopping, including buying presents for cousins, aunt and stepmum.
  • driven us all to visit my aunt, uncle, cousins, dad and stepmum. And enjoyed it.
  • gone to IKEA to buy Ellie a mammut table. Made the table up the same day.
  • given me a heart shaped box of chocolates for Easter.
  • is now cooking lunch for us and friends later. He's making up a fish stock - doing a proper job too - for a fish pie. Once the pie is done, he'll make treacle sponge for pudding and a coffee and walnut cake - because he wants to.
  • is loving using his new kitchen equipment - his new sieves (one for flour etc, the other is a conical, tin man type - he was upset that Ellie had stood on the old one) and salt cellar (he calls it a 'salt pig').
  • taking a break from cooking now and then to juggle for Ellie. 
I don't fancy trying to find out how to do an on-line vote. So instead please comment and answer one or more of the following questions;
  1. Why would anyone want to stay in control when this is what happens when you don't?
  2. Would you give him a medal or tell him to try harder?
  3. Do you think I should be suspicious?
  4. How many minutes will this idyll last till he goes to the pub?
By the way, if you are wondering what I'm doing - well I'm blogging. Ellie's in her high-chair dancing along to the Funk.

7 comments:

Reluctant Housewife said...

Answer to question #1: Well, one wouldn't, would one?

We have a round, green mammut table. The kids love it.

If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could clone Ricarro and send me a copy? I could use some help with the shopping & cooking. Thanks!

SaraLynn said...

Aswering question #2:
definitely a medal
He sounds like a good guy, he needs a medal.

Happy Easter to you all!

Sass E-mum said...

Answer to question 3: 40 minutes after posting he mentioned an afternoon visit to the pub. Glad to say this visit never happened. We all got nicely roasted at home instead.

Is anyone else scared of all the chocolate in the house? I've had 4 chocs and feel like it's coming out of my eyes. There are very many more eggs in the house. I could be feeling like this for many weeks to come.

Don Mills Diva said...

Sounds like you have good one there - have a great Easter!

Amanda said...

I think Riccarro should set up his own blog. It could be a blog teaching all of our husbands how to be absolutely fabulous, as well. Enjoy the chocolates, I keep sneaking them out of my kids baskets.

SaraLynn said...

yup, chocolate everywhere...what is a woman to do but eat it?

echoeve said...

suspicious
I was going to say #3. I guess that makes me the winner.

It doesn't really matter I think when our husbands do something great we should just be thankful..