Thursday, March 13, 2008

My amazing daughter

I don't want to always post about how tough it is being a mum. Or how challenging my child is. Because the truth is, I'm not finding her difficult right now. She must be saving it up for when she's a teenager.

I know I'll get my comeuppance. Until then, I want to brag about her. Go on - admit it - you think your child is amazing too, don't you?

Here's the thing.

I am a creature of habit and have a very repetitive bath and bed routine for Ellie. Part of this, involves putting Ellie in the same room as our dangerous and prickly cat, Jodie, while I run the bath in the adjoining room. 
Jodie is not impressed by Ellie and usually wants to leave the room after a minute or two. Unsurprisingly she doesn't appreciate being chased by a random, spontaneous 18-month old who doesn't understand that 'hiss' means 'no'. However, because of the stairs nearby, I close the door and shut them in together (with a big bed between them).

I reckon I have time to run the bath before letting Jodie out. While I'm in the bathroom, I hear the door open. I call to Ellie to come back in*. As I walk back in the room, Ellie's walking away from the door and there's no sign of Jodie. She's just let Jodie out and shut the door again. 

Now, I think this is amazing behaviour, indicative of deep understanding of what I do and empathy for the cat.

Okay, okay. You are thinking, 'durr, you're her mother, you would think that'.

Yeah, well - after her bath she picks up my Gina Ford book, 'Contented baby to confident child' to leaf through. I think she's taking it all in by osmosis.

*No stair gate at the top. I am relying on my Voice of Authority. Hey, no laughing at the back.

5 comments:

Working mum said...

You're so lucky, you've got a child genius there! Just enjoy it! :)

Amanda said...

What a pretty cat. We already know Ellie is a genius. Remember, she was reading the paper...
Seriously, it is very interesting when they show that subconscience knowledge.
I'm with ya on the not buying a gate. It seems like they grow out of the need for such things way to quickly to warrant the money.

THE MOM BOMB said...

I'll say it for you: she's precocious. And her emotional intelligence is obviously off the charts. Brag away!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Clever girl!

SaraLynn said...

Smart girl! They get it from us. They watch what we do and they take it all in. Kids miss nothing!