Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Page 123, 5th sentence

I have been tagged by Reluctant Housewife at Adventures of the reluctant housewife.

It’s a book meme.

Here are the rules:
  • Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.

  • Open the book to page 123.

  • Find the 5th sentence.

  • Post the next 3 sentences.

  • Tag 5 people.

Those who read Reluctant's blog will be disappointed to learn that my book is not about menstruation taboos in matrilineal versus patrilineal societies. Instead, the book I’ve picked up is She may not leave by Fay Weldon. I have not read more than the first page of this book before giving it up as a very bad job indeed.

In my single life, I used to like Fay Weldon books and enjoy their Brothers Grimm-fairy tale quality. Villains were writ large and manipulative, protaganists were puny and were compelled to toughen up if they were to survive the story.

But now I’m married and have a baby I am made emotionally uncomfortable with the plots of unhappy marriages, lost children, depression and powerlessness. I started reading Madame Bovary more than six months ago and can’t bring myself to finish it.

I was given this book by my sister-in-law who thought I’d enjoy it. Given that the book is about a new mother returning to work and seeing her husband leave her for the au pair (taking her child with her, horrors) – I was pretty appalled. She’d been handed it by her daughter-in-law – a full-time mum therefore less troubled by childcare nightmares. I was reassured to be told by the daughter-in-law that she agreed it wasn't a great book choice for me.

So when I turn to page 123, 5th sentence:


'I wonder if I really want to have a baby,’ Babs says. ‘I don’t want not to have one but then I think of the reality and my heart sinks.’ Alastair has taken her back, on condition that they start a family. He has shown her pictures of himself as a child, and as a young man before his neck thickened, when he was really not so bad looking.


See. Dreadful. Gloomy. Full of unattractive people. I really have to give this to the chazza*.


On to the tagging; like Reluctant I am very shy of tagging people. But, just watch, I'm gonna do it. (I realise I'm holding my breath. How odd).

Beth at Children or Not

CC at If only I had superpowers

Don Mills Diva

Mr D at The adventures of Mr D

Jakelliesmom at I invented motherhood

And for those of you just taking a look – here's a question for you. What’s the worst present (book or otherwise) that you've ever been given?

*charity shop

4 comments:

jakelliesmom said...

Thanks for the tag! I'll post sooner or later. : )

SaraLynn said...

Wow, that does sound bad. I may have to look it over just out of curiosity.

worst gift? i can't think of one for myself (weird,I know) but the worst gift my husband ever received was from my father. hehe
the first Christmas, before we were married, my father gave him a candle holder that looked like a fat tree trunk with a buffalo head carved in the center. ???? To this day I do not understand. And to this day I have no idea where it ended up.

Don Mills Diva said...

Hey Sarah! Thanks for the tag. I am going to try and get to it!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Thanks for doing the meme. "Before his neck thickened"? chuckle.

Worst gift: Hubby once came home from a trip and said, "I was going to buy you a sweater, but the bag from the store was so nice I decided to give you that instead." At least it was a reusable bag. It's nice... I guess. At least he gave me a good story to tell. He also once gave me an Aqua cd... the band who sang "barbie girl". Ew. He's not really very good at the gift giving thing. But I still like him ;).