Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Right brain, left handed

I was talking to my best pal, K, about her daughter. She's nearly four years old and very bright. Great speech. Everything seems to be going well.

K is very pregnant right now. Her little girl is making all the right empathy noises and is proving to be very helpful at going upstairs to get things or picking things off the floor for her mum.

The main difficulty that seems to be holding her daughter back is being left-handed. She's getting easily frustrated with the whole writing and drawing malarkey and hates trying to cut things with right-handed scissors.

She's very happy about the imminent arrival of a sibling, but I predict that any frustrations with writing/drawing/craft activities will be made worse after a few months of a small baby diverting her mum's attention.

I thought this would be a good time to try and find a pair of left handed children's scissors. Have you got any tips for where I can find these - and any other tactics for helping left handed children with writing and drawing?

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Are there not many left handers, over there? Both of my sons are left handed. All of our larger stores carry scissors that are for left handers. I checked the websites and they don't ship them overseas, though. If you can't seem to find them, let me know and I will ship them myself. Only because your such a good friend. (Although we've never met and I only know you from your blog.)

Sass E-mum said...

Ah - you make me smile, Amanda.

I think left handers are still regarded as a bit odd in the UK. It seems to be more of a boy thing as well - so if a boy isn't into writing it's put down to his boyishness, rather than how hard it is to be lefthanded in a rightist world.

I've found a left-handed website - so I should be able to get scissors delivered, but I'm a bit stunned at all the other stuff - even rulers can be left handed. What gadgets/ideas have been most helpful to your boys?

Amanda said...

Maybe it's because it is so prevalent here that I've actually never thought about it. Jonathon is in the first grade now, and has never had a problem with it. Maybe it's because he's always had access to the special tools. The only time it has really come up has been in sports. With the special gloves and all. Sorry, wish I had some good tips. I did see this cool website. I can't figure out how to put the link in the comment so here it is:
www.lefthandersday.com/tour8.html

Anonymous said...

My son has a writing tool to help him keep smudges off his hand. It is called a smudgeguard glove. You can google it if you want. Hope this tip can help.

CC said...

Thank you for your high regard to me and thinking I might be able to help! Unfortunately, I can't really help on this one. I asked my husband (who is a lefty) and he said that the reason Lefties are so good at spatial relationships is because they have to figure out everything the righties do and then reverse it. His entire family uses chopsticks at meals, and the poor kid was unable to use them for years and years (thus hindering his eating significantly) because no one could show him how to use them. The good news is, that once the child can problem solve these spatial relationships for themselves, they are that much smarter of people! Woot woot! No wonder there are more lefties in MENSA! :)

Sass E-mum said...

See - I knew you'd have AN answer. Thanks CC. It's good to hear from Amanda and you that lefties really can work it out for themselves.

I'm still buying the scissors and telling K about the smudgeglove though.

Working mum said...

My pupils have left handed stuff like rulers and scissors; it's not uncommon. In fact there is a view, unresearched as far as I know, that left handers are better at maths!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Monkey is left handed. And he's quite the little artist. I think there's a relationship between drawing ability and handedness... Is that crazy? Anyway, I read this post & the comments with great interest - I wonder if Monkey will have trouble. He hasn't yet, but he's only 3...