Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Eavesdropping is a delight

On my train journey home, a mum and 16 year old daughter sat next to me.

Since this is the London to Broadstairs line I was intrigued to see they had a massive bag of American candy with them. I spotted jujubles, junior mints, reese's peanut butter cups, pixy stix, jelly belly beans, daffy taffy and other delights "made with artificial ingredients". I considered running off with the bag, everything looked deliciously kitsch, but eavesdropped instead.

Their conversation ran along these lines;

Daughter: I'm going to that concert on saturday. (This appears to be a central London gig with a late finish)

Mum: I'll come and pick you up afterwards. 

D: No, I'll get a taxi and a train.

M: No I'll come and pick you up

D: Why? You don't have to.

M: You don't know how to deal with drunks and you won't be able to get a taxi.

D: Yes I do. I'm streetwise.

M: Yes, I know you think you are streetwise. 

D: I'll just tell Lizzie how uncool you are.

Mum barely raises an eyebrow to show how little this matters to her.

D: Lizzie's parents are letting her come back on her own.

M: (Disdainfully) Really.

D: So you'd leave Lauren at home for three hours

M: No. Granma will come over

D: (Exhasperated and outdone) Don't be so organised!

I swear I saw mum glow with happiness with this shocking insult.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Wish I would have read this before I sent your package. I would have included some of those treats.

I can't wait until my children are teenagers. (can you hear the sarcasm?)

Sass E-mum said...

I'll think of it as a diet package! Thanks in advance - saved my dentist bill.

I'll give you a live parenting update - Recaro just went to check on Ellie before going to bed... now she's screaming like a loon. Dads, huh?

CC said...

I worry worry worry about those teenage years! Note to self: be organized!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Aren't other people funny?

Don't be so organized.

Too funny.

Don Mills Diva said...

I'd be glowing with happiness too! Don't you love eavesdropping - my husband thinks I'm nuts because I'm also obsessed with it when we go anywhere...

jakelliesmom said...

Oh, I love that mom. I hope to have the same kind of insults from my teenage girl some day.

If you need a supply of American candy, I'd be happy to oblige.

SaraLynn said...

hehehe...ahh I can only imagine...this will be myself and my daughter in a few years...heaven help me!
I hope I am that organized!!

scrappysue said...

i have had that EXACT conversation with my 16 y/o daughter and i too, was thrilled to be insulted in such a manner hehe