Saturday, April 12, 2008

Everyone's a winner

I love you guys. None of you, it seems, let under threes play (unsupervised or even, at all) with coloured pens. We are all as mean and control freakish as each other. I find that strangely reassuring.

Other decisions that I've made - following your good advice on an earlier post - include;
  • Recarro and I are going to carry on taking Ellie along to the early morning communion service. It's where we want to be and noone is actually complaining. Being there is, quite simply, the only way for her to get used to church.
  • I'm carrying on with the reusable nappies. They are going to inspire me to some very planned and well-considered potty training* sometime this summer. If I give up on them now, I'll only end up keeping Ellie in nappies longer than I need to.
I promised I'd dish out a Blog of Distinction award to the blogger who helps me out most with one or more of my current parenting issues. There could only be one winner and I'm delighted to confirm the award goes to Reluctant. Check out her most excellent shopping post. Not surprisingly, this is the second time she's been awarded Blog of Distinction.

But before anyone gets upset, I have more news of awards! Amanda has given this blog a You Cheer Me Up Award. Such a friendly award I think. 

I don't think there are many rules associated with this award. It's self explanatory. I'm passing this onto;

The more the messier - I defy anyone to read about tornado outfits and volcano cakes and not feel happier


 




Hope this award cheers you up as much as it did me.

*Why do I do this to myself? Talk about setting myself up for a fall. I'm not going to get a medal for potty training Ellie early/quickly/easily. She'll be ready when she's ready. 

7 comments:

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

Thank you for the special mention. I'm glad to cheer someone up!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Thank you! I'm so glad you find my advice helpful. I'm just muddling along, myself, so it kind of surprises me when I have advice to give other mothers... I'm honoured.

And thank you for the "cheer me up" award as well.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! There, that about covers it.

As to potty training. I think that it's best to not stress too much about it, to not start too early, or to not push too hard. When she's ready, you'll know - she'll start showing interest in going to the toilet like a grown-up. I didn't potty-train Monkey at all, he just decided to go ahead and use the potty one day. Since then, he's only had one accident. Buddy was a bit harder to train. We started earlier and he didn't have an older sibling to emulate. We used to let him sit and read books or watch TV on the potty. (I put it on a plastic table cloth in case of spills). Eventually he peed in it, almost by accident, and put two and two together (Ah-ha! so that's what this thing is for!). And voila - potty trained. If you push to hard, they push back... and it ends up becoming a power struggle - which is no fun for anyone.

Thanks again! (and sorry about the potty-training novel.)

Amanda said...

Thank you very much for sending it back my way. I'm so glad that you enjoy my blog as much as I enjoy yours.

I don't think you should beat yourself up about the potty training either. But I am also a big fan of being willing to change lots of underwear. I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere at some point. With Madi and Jackson that's what I did. I just changed underwear every time they dirtied them. That was a lot of laundry but they didn't like being wet. Also, it has to be something that you won't loose your patience about. If you're going to try it that way you have to go into it knowing that it will be a few days of lots of dirty undies and be willing to have a good attitude the whole time. Otherwise, just wait and she will get it eventually on her own.

SaraLynn said...

Awww...thanks! Definitely cheered me up to think I cheer you up!!

I feel reassured to when I read your post (and the others) and see all the similarities in parenting styles!

And I am in the same boat with you as far as potty training! I have read Reluctant and Amanda's comments here. It makes me feel better! Jaxson has a mind of his own and I feel that if i push him, he will fight it....

Thanks again so much, Sass!!!

Working mum said...

Thanks for the award! You cheer me up too!

I dreaded potty training, but waited until she was 2 and 3 months and then she was asking to use the toilet like me. In fact, she only used the potty for the first few days as we moved it further away from her toward the toilet and then she went on the toilet. All done and dusted in two weeks (thank you, Gina Ford!)

Working mum said...

OOO, me again! Just remembered a trick I used with daughter: She loved Fifi and the Flowertots, so I bought her Fifi knickers which she had as her first pair of the day, but if they got wet she had plain knickers. She was desperate to keep the Fifi ones on; I think that helped!

SaraLynn said...

Hey there! I have tagged you for a meme of sorts :)

And given in, momentarily, to peer pressure....sigh