Monday, April 7, 2008

I want your opinion: I'm asking for it

Working mum has named this post a Blog of Distinction. It's apparently for being a blog which makes her laugh, cry, think or sigh. I hope I've made her laugh and occasionally think. (Not that she doesn't think of course. I'll stop there. When in a hole, don't dig deeper).

Thank you, Working Mom! I've been thinking hard about where my five awards are going to go from here. The winners are;
  • Her bad mother
  • Laskigal at From the cheap seats
  • The mom bomb (this has nothing to do with her competition, of course. That necklace is mine. BWA HA HA HA).
  • Leah at Bigger is better. Check her out. Sometime's she's a bit angry, but today she's looking for some LDS good lovin'. Often very funny! Got a feeling you guys might have some advice.
Where's the fifth? Well, that's going to go to the blogger who helps me out the most with one or more of the following three of my current parenting issues. If you can make me laugh, think, cry or sigh - you too could have a blog of distinction:
  1. Since having Ellie, I've been a very motivated mum. I've done my share of domestic duties, plus kept her in reusable nappies and made almost all her food from scratch. But I'm getting bored of the washing machine now. Please can you say some nice things about my efforts so far, just so that I can keep it all going till she's toilet trained. She's 18 months old, so I've got a while to go.
  2. As I've posted before, I'm not the most creative type. I can sit with Ellie and play with lego and Mr Potatohead. But I do hide the felt tip pens from her. I feel a considerable amount of fear for all surfaces in the house when she's marauding about with a pen in her hand. She does get to play with washable crayons whenever she likes (I've even been known to encourage her). Is this intolerably mean and control-freakish of me?
  3. The last question is about church. We take Ellie to an 8am communion service. Only about 10 people go to this service. All of them are really old - apart from our groovy young vicar... well she's about my age. That's young, right? Anyhoo, we take it in turns to take her out into the lobby when we agree she's too loud or too active. The congregation is really polite about Ellie and they all smile at her afterwards... but do you think we are being unreasonable in taking her there? Neither of us want to go to the later family service - they encourage people to put their children in the creche/sunday school - which seems to defeat the purpose of getting her used to church. What would you do?

13 comments:

Amanda said...

Leah is going to be so HAPPY!! I was going to give her one today but she will be so much more happy to get it from you. She will know for sure that it is based on true blogging talent and not friendship obligation.
I will offer help on one of your parenting issues, although I don't want to ever take part in another drawing. I just know I'm not going to get that necklace.
The church problem. My husband and I take our kids and deal with the same discomfort about the kids. Here's how I look at it. If you believe at all in anything that your church stands for, then you and your kids deserve to be there just as much as the rest of 'em. Go and hold your head high because you are exactly where you should be. (that sounded a little holy rollerish, sorry)

Her Bad Mother said...

Blog Of Distinction? Aaaaaw (*blushes and scuffs toes in dirt)

Thanks so much! Such a lovely thing for a Monday morning...

SaraLynn said...

1. I think you have done a fabulous job! She is obviously very happy!
2. No, your not a control freak. I am the same way. Until they can fully comprehend "do not color the walls, furniture, or yourself" I am all for washable crayons...or even those special markers that only color on the special paper...Am I a control freak???
3. I think what you are doing is great. My hubby and I are trying to find a church service that will allow us to take the kids. I am sorry bot if I am new to a church, I am not going to just drop my kids with a stranger, even for an hour. As long as the other church members are not bothered by it, I would keep doing what your doing. Because you are right, how else is she supposed to get used to "big church"

anyhoo....hope you have a great Monday!

THE MOM BOMB said...

Thanks so much for the award! You like me! You really like me! (Dries Sally Field-sized tears).

"Control freak"? How about "organizational pro"? My solution is to have the kids do the messy stuff outside when the weather warms (said as I'm futilely rubbing crayon marks from walls).

Cajunchic said...

lol well I did not get into the "groove" of cleaning until Munchkin was almost two so I think you are doing great.

As far as the playing can I just say that I hide all markers and put away playdough and crayons unless I am sitting right next to them so if you are a bad mommy for that than I am too.

The church problem. Once again we do the same thing. Monkette can not tolerate children's church so we bring her in with us and then walk out when she starts to become overstimulated or just plain acts up.

Hmm we are quite a bit alike now that I think about it. lol

Cajunchic said...

Ok I am confused. My reader is showing you posted a really yummy looking recipe for poor man's stroganoff.

Ps Is it weird that when I read your posts I read it with Dawn Porter's accent in my head?

The Fixer said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Come again soon!

x

Sass E-mum said...

Poor man's stroganoff? If you could just wait till friday. I tried using Blogger's scheduled post feature. Quite frankly it's not to be trusted.

Gah!

Sass E-mum said...

Also, I just had to go and look up Dawn Porter. Well, her voice is okay, but she seems to strip off quite a lot. Which isn't something I do a lot of.

Leah said...

You can stalk my blog all that you want. I would also like to thank you for your help in getting me some sweet lovin. I can use all the help I can get. And as for the kids I think you should defiantely take them to church. I do enjoy the meetings but it was Amanda's kids that kept me entertained when boredom started to set in.

Cajunchic said...

lol Yes she does strip off quite a lot but I really like her Super Slim Me Documentary.

Reluctant Housewife said...

1. I think you're an amazing mum with the disposable diapers... You're doing the right thing in the fight against pollution AND the fight against diaper rash.

2. I didn't let Monkey or Buddy have markers until they were around 3 years old. They had crayons, but markers were too messy. The first time Monkey got into markers he coloured his entire body brown in the few seconds it took me to run to the bathroom. His. ENTIRE. Body. It was insane. They're both quite the little artists, so I don't think it stunted their creativity at all.

3. I think you should feel comfortable taking Ellie to your church - it's supposed to be a community, right?

There you go. How'd I do?

babelouise said...

You are doing right by taking her to church. That is how she will learn to behave and get used to being there. Good job, Sass!