Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Just do it

At the start of this year I had great intentions for getting 'bikini-fit' by June. I say bikini-fit, but don't imagine any air-brushed gorgeousnous. More a case of 'if I lie down on the lounger will my tummy look flattish' and when I look at the photos, will I see muscle tone in my legs or just notice the cellulite?

The first six weeks went soooo well. I was running two or three times a week and doing sit-up/press-ups and other exercises every couple of days. In fact I was really starting to notice the difference. There was no big difference in weight, but my waist was definitely getting trimmer.

But then I started having bad thoughts. Along the lines of 'wow, this is achievable. All I have to do is keep up the exercise. For the rest of my life.'

That last bit really got to me. So I used the excuse of cold weather to stop my fantastic running efforts. As the no-exercise weeks have slipped by, I'm getting all bulgy again and I'm starting to wonder what happened to my motivation.

Clearly exercise does work for me. It makes me feel positive, more energetic, more confident that I'll be an active, enthusiastic mum for Ellie. It makes me feel sexier - and less likely to just loll around on the sofa (so not a good look).

I just have to tackle my fear of success and accept that I have to treat exercise as a fact of life. It's going to have to be another thing that I do. Just like the laundry, it's not going to go away and once it's done I will feel lighter and free to do the things I want. And sometimes, unlike the laundry, I'll even enjoy it.

I'm also going to read the health and fitness tips at From the cheap seats. Laskigal has garnered loads of good ideas to inspire me.

Today, I'm at work in the local office. No double-decker bus rides here. Instead I have my running kit because my local work day lunchtimes represent my main chance for running. Well. I've published this post now. I'm going to have to do it.

He he. It didn't happen. I walked to the sandwich shop instead. Mmmmm... lunch. Hope I have more will power next time.

12 comments:

echoeve said...

I hate exercise, and my body proves it. However, I am going to turn over a new leaf as well, I just haven't decided on a date yet.

hang in there. I would like to say it gets easier however excersise never gets easier

Reluctant Housewife said...

I hear ya, sister! I was going to the gym three or four times a week and doing a yoga class. Things got busy and the yoga ended (I miss my yoga whaaannn!) and now I'm a lump. Have got to get back to it.

Also, am wasting money on gym membership if not using it, right?

womaninawindow said...

I'm in the same boat but I fear just a little further toward the back. I bike and do alright when it's nice out. Unfortunately there were 5 months of snow this last year! That means that I have to work SOOO hard now to catch up. Ooff! Why do we do these things to ourselves? Good on ya for trying so hard, though. Motivation is everything.

Cajunchic said...

I am there too although it would take alot longer than a few months for me to be bikini ready. I was going to the gym every day and had lost quite a bit until Monkette started regress. Then i just stopped and now am having a hard time getting back on track.

Milla said...

very interesting. Equating it with laundry, running and laundry being my 2 most hated. But I have accepted the laundry, so maybe I should look for those evil things the running shoes. WHAT AM I SAYING!!!

THE MOM BOMB said...

Oh Dear God, we head to Florida in two weeks. Any ideas for how to eliminate the flaps of flab that hang over my waistband . . . in two weeks.

As for getting overwhelmed about exercising EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. . . . sometimes I feel that way about raising children.

CC said...

Good luck with the will power! Hand some my way too! I wear a pedometer and my steps have been just awful for the last few months! :(

SaraLynn said...

this is my problem with losing weight too! fear of success

excercise works for me too and I totally feel ya in this post :)

scrappysue said...

it's such a bummer you can't 'bank' exercise!

Leah said...

You should know that I stalk your blog as well and that I am working on being a little less angry. Good work on the running. I have a strict policy not run unless something is chasing me and I have done well sticking to it. Keep on going I am sure that you will get that smoking hot body that you so desire. By the way thanks for the hair compliment.

MamaGeek said...

IF ONLY exercise were as enjoyable and fun as eating, I'd lose 10 pounds tomorrow!

Oh I share your pain!

Amanda said...

It is intimidating when you think of doing it 'FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE'. So we have to take it day by day. Just start today, or tomorrow or the next day...