Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Knives! Tea bags! Whistling!

See what happens when you leave me alone for a day or two. All of a sudden my blogging ability is running riot with outbreaks of exclamation marks!! and random title ideas.

I'll wrestle this blog back under control if. it's. the. last. thing. I. do.

Okay. Now I've got it pinned down. All I need to do now so is get through my back log of memes. Other blogs are giving away exciting goodies - I'm just here telling you stuff about ME. Who could ask for more?

Saralynn - the Happy Baker - tagged me for a Six Word Memoir. The rules are as follows:

1. Write your own six-word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you’d like.
3. Link to the person who tagged you in your post.
4. Tag five more blogs with links.
5. Remember to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play.

So here's the memoir: Laughing loving mother. Adventurous sassy woman.

And an illustration to accompany the first part of the memoir at least:


And I've also been tagged by Cajunchic at The Simple Cajun Life (though if you ask me, her life is anything BUT simple). If she can find time to blog, then I can find time to get through my memes.

So here are the rules:

1. Post 3 random things about yourself.

2. Link to the person who tagged you in your post.

3. Tag at least 5 other bloggers.

4. Let them know you've tagged them by commenting on their blog with an invite to participate.

Here's some very random things about me;

1. I'm clumsy. Especially with kitchen knives. Right know I have two cuts healing up. I'm not a self harmer, but if you saw my hands right now I could forgive you for wondering. In case you wonder - I wax my legs. There's no such thing as a safety razor.

2. I listen to weird bits of advice. Like my aunt telling me that used tea bags can stop bleeding. My uncle is on blood thinning drugs, so any shaving nicks can get way out of control. It really works. I can't remember what the active ingredient is, but if you ever you get an annoying paper cut that won't stop (and you don't want to cover your hands in plasters) try putting a wet, used tea bag on it. It stops the bleeding as if by magic. I'm almost looking forward to the next time Recaro cuts himself shaving... (just kidding).

3. I can't abide whistling. I think it's an abomination and one of the rudest things people can do. Co-workers, husband and many others think this is nutty. Including random strangers who I ask to stop whistling. It's got a lot to do with my mum telling my brother it was rude to whistle. Maybe he was whistling in an inappropriate place. Nonetheless, the feeling stuck. I find the noise really irritating and it bugs me that there's a tune going on in someone's head and I have to hear their awful accompaniment. I used to work next to a guy who would whistle as soon as it was past 5.30pm. He believed he only had to comply with my no-whistling directive during official work hours. It was okay though. I soon ran him off the premises and he's not come back since.

Tagging?

You know what. I'm not going to tag on this occasion. There are some really great posts going on around us right now. What I believe at The Natural Mommy (not that I agree with her - but isn't that part of the blogging fun?) and Eight Windows at I invented Motherhood to name just two and I don't want to get my tag in the way of someone else's well written, inspiring post. And of course we are just a post or two away from Reluctant's 100th post - which I'm looking forward to because I've asked her at least 14 questions and can't wait to read her answers. Also I haven't finished discovering the new blogs that Working Mum is enjoying. There's so much to read, comment on as well as laugh, cry, sigh and awww at. And that's before I've seen what Amanda's only gone and done now...

But just wait, because next time I might just throw a tag your way.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I love that picture of you and Ellie. It was here, before, then gone, now back. I'm glad.

The other night Josh and I took the kids to dinner at my mil's. Some good friends of ours were there as well. Josh was whistling to me (yes, like I was his new pet puppy)to ask if I needed anything. My friend thought it was her husband and yelled at him.
My husband is very charming but being polite is not one of his stronger points.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

Hi. I saw you over at Miss Elaine-ous' place, and had to come by to say hello.

THE MOM BOMB said...

After seeing that picture of you, it's official: I'm jealous of your hair.

Maybe you could accidentally drop one of those knives on the next person who whistles . . .

Cajunchic said...

What a cute picture. I find time to blog because it is my only link to sanity. Lol How sad is that.

Is it really bad that my mind is in such a bad place that when I saw your title those were not the kind of teabags I was thinking of? *blush*

SaraLynn said...

LOL....loved this post!

cute pic and wonderful memoir :)

I am going to have to check out all the posts you named :)

Rachel said...

I love the pictures and I love the post. I did your five words.

Trish said...

I kind of get the issue with the whistling. I am the same way with singing at the dinner table. My mom used to tell me that if I sang at the table I'd marry a crazy man. While my husband isn't crazy, it's still something that has stuck with me my entire life --along with the notion that if I didn't eat my peas my eyes would become square.

Beth said...

Hi there - I found this article on parents blogging and would be interested in your take on it!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080422.wlblog22/BNStory/PersonalTech/home

I found the comments on the article pretty intolerant - I thought more parent bloggers would respond with supportive comments.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Beautiful picture. You both look so happy... not to mention fabulous!

Thanks for the mention. My 100th is up now. I had such a great time answering all the questions.

I like to whistle. My dad was always whistling when I was a kid. He was great at it - still is. I'm no good at all and I promise to never whistle in your presence... Still like me anyway? ;) My strange pet peeve is when people cut "half an hour" down to "a half hour" (in speech). I know it's technically correct, but it still drives me crazy.

Sass E-mum said...

Beth: I checked out the Globe and Mail story. I think it was harsh on the bloggers it quoted. I don't take the commenters too seriously.

The people who comment on newspaper e-articles often seem to be sociopathically cynical and scathing - as well as incredibly sensitive to making any personal information public (which is odd, because these people seem to like reading about celebs and others in the public eye).

By comparison, the people blogging around here seem a lot more friendly, understanding, funny, forgiving, supportive... I could go on.

I blog because I want to discover things in common with other mums and to find new ways of approaching some of the age-old difficulties of parenting. And it works. So far I am getting the answers that I'm looking for - though I wouldn't mind winning a few more giveaways.