Friday, April 11, 2008

Poor man's stroganoff

Poor man's stroganoff is an ideal recipe for a Frugal Friday post. This sneaked an earlier appearance into some people's Google Reader, because there are still a few kinks in Blogger's scheduled post feature. Or I messed up, but let's face it, that's not likely. Much. 

By the way, I was interested to read ScrappySue's poll and subsequent comments about the merits - or not - of Blogger. If you want to bitch about Blogger, now's your chance.

Back to the recipe: instead of using expensive fillet beef, this uses rump steak. It does take longer to cook than the real thing - but it's a far easier recipe as a result. It allows me to cook the meal in phases - taking a break when I need to, such as giving Ellie a bath.

My inspiration was a Delia Smith recipe - but I've taken out all the fussy nonsense (frying strips of beef in batches - pah. I don't have time for that kind of crazy cooking).
 
Here we go, rump steak, portobello mushrooms, onion, creme fraiche, nutmeg, butter, white wine and rice.
Chop the onion in half rings. I got this wrong and ended up with an additional bowl of finely chopped onions. Very annoying.
After softening up the onion rings in a generous chunk of butter - don't let them burn - add the strips of rump steak. Let the beef brown all over. Delia says do this in strips - but as I said above... pah! - throw it all in at once, you want to eat, don't you?

Once all is nice and brown, add about 10ml of white wine. I used Gran Tesoro white wine from Tesco's. It costs less than £3 ($6) a bottle but is good, every-day-drinking wine. If that isn't a top tip for a frugal Friday, I don't know what is.

Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, put the lid on the pan and go and do something else for one hour. Or do nothing. That's good too.
When the hour is up, slice the mushrooms and gently stir them into the beef and onions.

Simmer again for another half an hour. During this time, cook your rice. 

At the end of the cooking time, stir in a couple of tablespoons of creme fraiche - or more if you think it needs it. Add a grating of nutmeg.
Serve your stroganoff to your family and see their little faces light up. (Look closely, I think you can see at least one smiling face in this shot). 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Look at that presentation. It is flawless. Even the face is just rightly placed over the food.
Another one to add to my collection. My stroganoff usually comes from a bag that says 'Lipton'.

Cajunchic said...

Yeah it is finally here. i will have to try that. I have never made stroganoff before but remember eating it as a kid.

SaraLynn said...

This looks great!! I will bookmark it!
Thanks for sharing it!