Monday, April 14, 2008

These are not my feet

So I was waiting for the number 8 bus from Victoria up to Oxford Street, when I saw these blue tights and black shoes. The theatre over the road is showing 'Wicked'. I think a witch might have escaped. Think of the biker boots as a bonus pair of not-so-great footwear.
Here I share the pretty tulips of Grosvenor Gardens.

And the jumping wild cats of Grosvenor Gardens.


If you peek over the top of Buckingham Palace's garden wall, you can see the Queen's own tennis court.
At Hyde Park Corner, this is Apsley House. It used to be the home of the Duke of Wellington and once had the address, Number 1, London.


There's lots going on at Hyde Park Corner. This is Wellington Arch. A cycle path runs straight through it. On this side of the arch is the Australia War Memorial. On the other side is the New Zealand War Memorial.


Duke of Wellington. On his horse.
After Hyde Park Corner the bus turns onto Piccadilly. This road leads right up to Piccadilly Circus - London's version of Times Square, only not so big and with a statue of Eros in the middle (firing his arrow up Shaftesbury Avenue, but that's another story).

The bus turns off before Piccadilly Circus, but it does go past the other end of that lovely avenue of trees.

From here we go past Langan's (restaurant part owned by Michael Caine) and Nobu (an A-lister kind of restaurant) to arrive a Berkeley Square - where the nightingale's sing.

Then it's up Davies Street and past Vivienne Westwood's shop (I tried to take a photo but the bus was picking up speed). I did manage a lovely photo of the side entrance to Claridges Hotel. 

I've eaten at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant here just the once. The same night as Alan Alda and Cate Blanchett (separate tables for all of us I'm afraid). It was a fabulous meal.
Since then I've only made it back as far as the champagne bar. Happily someone else was subsidising the bill or else I'd still be in shock.


8 comments:

Amanda said...

Were you on one of those big red double deckers? They have those over there, right. I love it when you do the tours through town. You're a regular tour guide.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Didn't they get rid of the double-decker buses?

Fun photos.

Cajunchic said...

Oh my! you have to wonder what people think when they look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. do they actually think that looks good? lol

My goal is to get to England before I turn 40 so I can see where I was born. Only ten more years eek.

SaraLynn said...

YAY!!!!
Fun pictures! It is so fun to look at these places! It is beautiful :)
Thank you so much for posting!

The shoes...eek!

scrappysue said...

i just love all these pics! do u take them on the way to work? makes me wanna come back to london!!!!

womaninawindow said...

The blue tights were spectacular and the biking boots, I'm embarrassed to admit, I thought rocked! (although I'd never have the guts to wear them anymore!) Alan Alda is everywhere! He's like Where's Waldo? Apparently he has a camp on an Island not too far from here, but I really wonder about this...Thanks for the tour. I'd love to go there some day.

Mad said...

It's been almost 4 years since I was in London last...at that was for only 24 hours. I miss it so. Thanks for these pictures.

dulwichmum said...

I love the Champagne bar at Claridges too, my favourite favourite place. Thank you so much for your kind support of my blog earlier.

Best wishes,

Bea x