Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Working Wednesday

Tomorrow brings another day in London.

After checking that I've turned all things hot, electrical or gas powered off, instructed Recaro on the items that need to be packed in Ellie's nappy bag and assured him her lunch/dinner bag is ready to go, I'll dash out of the house to catch my train.

Here's a few highlights of the journey I'll be taking. Just before crossing the river, my train takes me past the Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. They've got a few buildings around here and I sometimes see them training some of the working dog breeds in the yard between these arches.

If I was sat on the other side of the train, I'd see the derelict Battersea Power Station. No one knows what to do with the Battersea site. It's contaminated land and has a listed building power station in the middle of it. Even though it's in central London and on the River Thames, I'm not sure it'll ever get developed.

Once I get into Victoria , my bus takes me past 'Little Ben'. I think this is one of those 'invisible' landmarks of London - you don't notice it until someone points it out to you. There are plans afoot to revamp a big part of Victoria. This clock will be taken away while the work goes on and then brought back again after all the heavy duty building work is finished.Here I am on the bus. The bus is empty - which means I took the photo last Friday when I went into work late. I'm far more stressed out and cross when I travel in early, but I think you can still see my frown lines between my brows.

This is a another picture of the New Zealand War Memorial on Hyde Park Corner. It was Anzac day last week , so you can see all the newly laid wreaths. Sadly I missed out on the Anzac biscuits that an Australian woman brought into the office. She's a cookie baking fiend, so I hope to get another chance to eat these when she organises a charity bake-off.In their crazed optimism about the British weather, the park keepers at Green Park have already started setting out the deck chairs. It poured down with rain today, so I'm not sure they've made much money so far this year. It costs something like £3 to use a deck chair for an hour. Bonkers. I'd sit on the grass and save my cash for buying some M&Ms at Disneyland one day...Or perhaps I'd save my money for buying an ocean going yacht. He he. I think ocean going yachts are just rich people's equivalent of caravanning. And as far as I know, there isn't a kitsh yachting equivalent to an Airstream caravan, which means that yachts are not cool. (See how I just saved myself loads of money and still sounded superior and snotty).

I jump off the bus shortly after the yacht shop and head into work where I get myself a coffee, raid the biscuit box for fig rolls and swipe a banana from the fruit box before everyone else gets to them first.

I take a random approach to my London posts. If there's anything you'd especially like to see or know, just say and I'll do what I can to oblige.

6 comments:

THE MOM BOMB said...

First of all, those "frown lines" are so barely-there, it's laughable. I have quite deep, quite noticeable, frown furrows. People are always asking me, "What's wrong?"

Second of all, thanks for the tour of your commute. I collect vintage buttons -- I wonder if that's where "Battersea Buttons" come from? And what exactly is an ANZAC biscuit? My only knowledge of ANZAC day is watching Mel in Gallipoli.

MamaGeek said...

Oh I LOVED these shots and this post! What an adventure (for me that is). :) Can you take any shots of Buckingham palace or Big Ben (little Ben's famous brother)?

Sass E-mum said...

Anzac biscuits are a tropical version of oatmeal cookies. Made for the ANZAC troops. Here's a recipe: http://www.aussieslang.com/features/anzac-biscuits.asp

Let me know if you make any!

scrappysue said...

thanks for putting in that pic of the nz memorial! love your specs too - very cute!

i see anzac biccies have been explained. ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corps. they fought together. click here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Day and click here http://ngaiosixpack.blogspot.com/2008/03/does-this-happen-at-your-house.html for an anzac biccie recipe.

Amanda said...

I love the tour. I love seeing all of the pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge about London to make any specific requests. I would like to see Big Ben as well. All of the other things I associate with London, seem to be unattainable, ie; Heather Mills and her Beatle, Mel B, or Sporty or Baby...

Point is, I love seeing whatever you want to show. I liked when you semi-chased that celebrity guy. Let's see a little more of that.

I'm also glad Scrappysue explained what ANZAC was. I should have been able to figure that out from your post, but I'm not the brightest star in the galaxy, if you know what I'm sayin.

Sass E-mum said...

I gave a very incomplete answer about Anzacs. Thank you ScrappySue for filling in the essential details.

To make up for it, I looked up Battersea Buttons. They come from Wisconsin and are made Battersea Pewter Ltd. I'd never have guessed.

It's was raining this lunchtime, so I've not been to take a photo of Big Ben or Buck House. But I will do! (I did post Buck House a few weeks ago if anyone cares to search my blog for it). And if I see Heather M or any Spice Girls, trust me - you'll all know about it.