Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baby steps to strangely lush fitness

This is a first week progress report on my strangely lush fitness plan. I'm feeling very motivated right now, so I'm making the most of my enthusiasm by taking up all my exercise opportunities.

My best opportunity for running is to go out in my lunch hour when I'm working in the office at a leafy green business park. There's a shower at the office so I don't have to feel grotty and sweaty for the rest of the afternoon. Not that I'd go running at all if there wasn't a shower in the first place.

I choose go faster stripes on my joggers for obvious reason. My green trainers cheer me up and make me go GO GO.

Because I'm a good girl I did some warm up stretches and headed off for a ten minute run round the block. I followed that up with two sets of 10 sit ups and the same again of leg raises. I was going to call it a day, but saw a fellow mum from the office taking a moment to sit nearby in the sun.

She's facing exactly the same get moving or look pregnant issue. She's also been going out for lunch time runs. I found her quite inspiring, so I did my 10 minute run all over again back to the office.

Then I looked like this.
Sweaty, but elated. I got considerably pinker over the next 10 minutes, but I'm alright now.

I wonder how the rest of you are getting on with putting the plan into action. Is anyone taking bets on whether Amanda ate her dinner quickly and went back for seconds? Jakelliesmom is planning to take the stairs to her office. Mine is on the third floor. Gulp. Will I, won't I, take the lift? And will Reluctant make it to her swishy, childcare-included gym?

14 comments:

CC said...

Here's my fitness plan. Get back to 10,000 steps/day. I'm at 2000 right now. I've got a looooooooong way to go!!!

womaninawindow said...

I cycle down a long and winding country road but that's just for fun. Otherwise I eat chocolate. Good on you though!

jakelliesmom said...

I did the stairs and made a point of telling my office mate that I'd be bypassing the elevator. She thought that in a year, that might equate to one pound lost! Next step for me is either getting up early (gasp!) or committing to exercising after I put the kids to bed before settling in on the couch to watch tv.

Marc Neilson said...

I am jealous you have a shower in your office...at best we have a yucky sink. Hey love the green trainers by the way!

scrappysue said...

i think you look FABULOUS!!!, and the GOGOGREEN runners are very spiffy.

i plan to give more than a passing glance to ALL of the things on your fitness plan...as soon as i regain the ability to lift my leg.

i will be posting regarding how i almost turned myself into a cripple at monday night's netball coaching session...

and the word verification says

mixogee - sounds like a yummy cocktail

Amanda said...

I've either got to get up earlier (like 5am) or join a gym. Because I am literally with at least one of my kids 24 hours a day. At least a gym would have a nursery.

I love that shot of you after your run. You have the look of victory on your face.

Madame Queen said...

You may be sweaty, but you look healthy!

I successfully avoided the strawberry cake in my office yesterday and that was a big deal for me!!

Trish said...

I put on my cute pink running shoes and didn't get much further. Every morning I wake up with good intentions and now it's late afternoon and I'm blogging and eating a piece of home made strawberry pie. Ugh!

Sass E-mum said...

Since ANOTHER woman just offered me her seat on the bus this afternoon, I'm finding my motivation is still going strong.

What did I do to deserve all these awful women coming at me with their congratulations and 'would you like to sit down's?

Reluctant Housewife said...

I didn't get to my swishy gym (what does swishy mean in Brit?). But I moved a bunch of furniture and cleaned floors and hung curtains. My MIL is visiting tomorrow... MUST CLEAN!!! Ah! I also went to Ikea (yay!)... And I've moved from a 2 bdrm aprt. to a 3 floor townhouse (6 flights of stairs!)... does that count?

You're very inspiring BTW. I felt so inspired yesterday I actually phoned my gym to get details. Then I sat around and ate chocolate... Well, just a bit of chocolate, but still.

I love your green runners.

Amanda said...

Ok, so this afternoon, inspired by you, I took 5 kids for a walk. Two were on bikes, two were in a wagon and one walked and pulled the wagon the first half of the way. So, on the way back one was begging me to push his bike for him while the other was completely done pulling the wagon. I pulled the wagon back and made Jackson get back on his bike with threats of a spanking right there on the sidewalk. Needless to say that could have gone better. But at least I'm trying, right? And I didn't have seconds. But I will go have my ice cream and I did eat very quickly. Ooops.

THE MOM BOMB said...

Any woman that mistakes you for pregnant deserves a bitch-slapping. Just ship 'em on over FedEx and I'll settle it for you, Jersey-style. Ever watch "The Sopranos"?

I'm trying to jog, but my neighbors keep slowing down in their cars to stare at me as I shuffle along, sweating and heaving, my tongue hanging out of my mouth. I think they're worried I'm going to pass out on one of their lawns.

Sass E-mum said...

Reluctant - as far as I'm concerned swishy means glamorous. I'm imagining you in lycra, lots of mirrors, blissfully dropping your boys off to the nursery. (I just said the lycra stuff to scare you. Sorry. Your PJs sound more comfy.) So glad to be inspiring and hey, you made the call - don't you feel skinny, already?

Amanda - let's hear it for the walk. Sorry it got tricky out there with all those wheeled vehicles. But you know what GI Jane used to say? Feel the burn. Just hopefully, not on your spanking hand.

The Mom Bomb - I'm so tempted. I'll go open a FedEx account just in case...

scrappysue said...

this just arrived in my inbox:

"What do those of us who aren't tall, flawlessly sculpted adolescents do? Answer: Console ourselves with how relative beauty can be... Thank heavens for the arousing qualities of zest, intelligence, wit, curiosity, sweetness, passion, talent and grace." -- Diane Ackerman"

amen to that!!!