Sunday, May 4, 2008

Boris won but it's not getting me down

Blond Boris won. Boooooo.

My neighbours happened to be outside City Hall when the final results were coming through. The Evening Standard already had their papers stacked up outside with the headline that Boris had won. The paper showed a photo of Boris kissing and glad-handing an old lady.

The old lady 'happened' to be right there next to my neighbours. She and her partner appeared to be a little theatrical. Could that have been a staged photo op? Mmmm... whaddya think?

Fortunately there's been plenty going on this weekend to keep me from dwelling on such a political disaster (as disasters go, I'm hoping this will be relatively boring).

I've been baking cakes and fabulous fish pies. Ellie joined in by finding the flour and tipping it all over the floor. She loves the sensation of all that smooth flour over her legs and feet.

Recarro was quite upset by all of this, but I think it's inevitable. He's suggesting we reorganise all our food cupboards so that it can't happen again.

After bath time, we put an extra layer of warm clothes on her and took her out to the beach. We had a date with our neighbours, Daisy (not her real name of course - but she's pregnant and blooming) and Tom (also not his real name, but what other name goes with Daisy?).

You might think us mad for taking a newly bathed baby to the beach. It worked out fine, Ellie was tired so didn't romp about too much. It's a shingle beach with only a little sand and the tide was a long long way out.

We could be pretty certain of catching Ellie before she got her ankles wet.

11 comments:

Working mum said...

Hey Recarro, don't sweat the small stuff!

Leave a cupboard available to Ellie with just the stuff you don't mind cleaning up. It's all part of the learning process.

Amanda said...

I like to let Emma Mae pull out the cans and restack them. It's very easy to clean up and keeps her from getting into anything else.
I love the shot of Ellie and Recaro. And the sunset was beautiful.

scrappysue said...

oh she is a cutie! i'm having my coffee with my morning paper and realised that i'd confused the mayoral candidates. so the guy you didn't want to win has won? boo!!! let's hope he proves everyone wrong.

let's hope he's like the american president - all powerful, but with the ability to affect no change whatsoever.

TEOM said...

I hate it when my candidate doesn't win. That's been happening in my neck of the woods for eight years!

MamaGeek said...

Oh my what a cutie. And that sunset was stunning. And yes, the messes - they happen. FAR TOO OFTEN!

Don Mills Diva said...

Aww - I love that photo of her in the flour - so adorable.

BTW BB reminds me of our mayor David Miller - I can't stand him either...

Trish said...

It is inevitable. My 18 month old daughter has learned to now open the pantry door and get a chair so she can reach what she wants.

Madame Queen said...

Ooh, I think walking around in flour would feel divine. So cool. So soft. I think she's on to something.

Reluctant Housewife said...

I absolutely don't think you're crazy for going to the beach... baths or no baths (no baths are probably a bad idea, come to think of it)... Hubby is always hatching grand plans to keep the kids out of things, but they never end up being followed through on...

womaninawindow said...

I think a cool evening at the beach beats a hot day hands down. And that picture just under here with your daughter's hair reaching for stars is simply madness!

SaraLynn said...

What a lovely day you had! My kids love flour too. It's just flour and relatively easy to clean up. I am just glad they don't have the same fondness for eggs!