Friday, May 2, 2008

I love Fridays


After nearly setting the house alight, it's been clear that I've not always had my eye on the ball over the last two weeks.

Work has been busy, demanding and fulfilling. My time with Ellie has been limited and there was at least one run of three days when all I did for her was pack her food. I didn't get to bath her, cuddle, dress or play with her.

Ellie has been getting on fine with Recaro and one of the world's greatest childminders, but there's no doubt about it - I was very happy to get to Friday and have a whole day to spend time just with her.

She's working on climbing the stairs like a grown up - keen to meet the challenge but cautious enough to make sure I'm there with her. Her language is coming on too. Today's new words of the day are 'open' and 'Iggle Piggle'.

Yes. Iggle Piggle. It will be no surprise to learn that she's mastered (or is that comandeered?) the remote control for the TV. She has also managed to change the TV settings to an incomprehensible eastern European language so we will never be able to adjust the contrast ever again.

She'll push me along to do more interesting stuff - climbing into her buggy as if to say 'Okay. Bored now. Let's go somewhere.'

And will invent games like turning a friend's bird bath into a water toy. (Not sure my friend was so impressed to see her son get soaking wet... oops, my version of fun might not be the same as someone else's.)

At nap time, she walks to the stairgate and waits to be allowed to go to her cot for a sleep.

'Bye, bye' she calls out as I leave her room. Silence. Straight off to sleep.

For the time being, she is a happy, delightful, imaginative and bright little girl. All Recaro and I have to do is keep doing the right things and she'll turn out fine...

Who knows what the future holds, but I'm treasuring this wonderful day. It's so important to recognise what's good in your life and to enjoy it at the time it's happening.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

They grow so fast, don't they? I look at Jonathon and can't believe that he is a big boy and not a toddler. I try to enjoy this time as much as possible. Sometimes are a little harder than others.

Working mum said...

Hope you enjoyed your Friday, after working so hard. I hate it when I have a parents' evening like last night and don't see daughter in the evening. Three days must have been hard. You can make up for it this weekend. Have a good one!

Beth said...

Well, it looks like the evil one is now London Mayor. Sigh.

But Ken brought this on himself by being such an arrogant twat.

Sass E-mum said...

Gah. Beth, it's true.

And I bet the evil one doesn't get rid of bendy buses.

CC said...

She sounds like she is in a wonderful stage! Love that she fell asleep so quietly and peacefully! :)

scrappysue said...

so boris won? at least that blondie didn't eh? loved your most recent post. you can really tell you treasured your day with ellie. she sounds like a very well adjusted little girl, and her parents are doing a pretty good job too!!!

family affairs said...

That is a gorgeous picture - the light is lovely...and I'm with you on the election results- I'm going to call him BJ from now on...it slightly helps me to feel better, in a childish sort of way - I too did the same political blog the other day about London...not happy x

Reluctant Housewife said...

Wow, I'm blown away that she wants to go for a nap... My kids never did that. You get an ubermom award. And Ellie gets a uberlittleone award. I have to admit, though, I'm slightly jealous.