Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The strangely lush fitness plan

You've buoyed me up with your support and interest in battling with the baby bulge. So I'm going to share my thoughts on the strangely lush fitness plan. First, let me explain my starting point.

The effect having a baby has on one's body is strangely shocking. People did tell me life would never be the same again once I had a baby, but not surprisingly, other mums never confessed that their tummies were quite different too. Also, noone said how annoying caesarean scars are too, but it's okay. I'll save that for another diatribe.

At some point most of us move on from watching every dip and upturn of their baby's weight, to gasping at our bodies' inability to 'ping' back to normal.

A friend of mine has indeed claimed that her mid-30's body did 'ping' back to shape. Her words. Of course, now she's living in Germany so I can't see the truth of this for myself.

By the law of averages, I suppose it's possible. But why not for me? That's all I'm saying.

So now, my plan is to get lushly fit - without having to spend a fortune on the gym, hire a personal trainer or giving up too much of my spare time which I'd rather spend with Ellie. This last aspect is possibly one which changes depending on the age and number of your children, but stick with me.

At this early stage in the strangely lush fitness plan, see how many of the following five goals you can squeeze into your life in week one;
  • Be more active than you have been. Whereever possible, walk or cycle instead of jumping in the car.

  • Embrace the stairs. Tough luck if you live in a bungalow. The rest of us should go up and down whenever we need to. Forget trying to be efficient.

  • Wake up to sun salutations. Or go to bed with them. Try and do 12 of these - but even if you only manage four, you'll feel more invigorated than otherwise. This video shows what a sun salutation is - and how to do it properly (by the way, I do NOT bend like the lady in the vid - at least not yet).

  • Eat slowly, drink lots (water or dilute juice - save the champagne for special) and no seconds. I really struggle with the eating slowly, but smaller portions are more satisfying if eaten slower.

  • Spot your opportunities for exercise. If you've only got specific windows of time free to yourself, think about what you could do. Run/powerwalk for 10/20 minutes? Swim for half an hour? As a mum, you are OBVIOUSLY an organising sensation. Pack your bag or get dressed in your fitness gear so that when your moment comes, you have no excuse. I'm refusing to buy gym membership because I don't have the time to make it worthwhile - but I can get out for a couple of 10/20 minute runs twice a week. Think about what it is you'd like to do and can find the time for.

If you want to sign up to the strangely lush fitness plan, post your comment here. Let me know how many of these five ideas you can do this week - and next week, there'll be more ideas and inspiration.

We'll be yummy mummies yet.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I looked at the sun salutations and I think I can try those. I will have to think about how I can take advantage of those other ideas.

I wan to be in the strangely lush fitness plan.

But don't look at my post today. Thanks.

Don Mills Diva said...

Those are all great ideas. I really have to work on eating more slowly - I have a really bad habit of gobbling my food like a starving hyena!

WORKING MOM said...

Yes, even if I just have ten minutes, I get on my stepper and pump hard. Maybe I get to it again later, but if not, well, it was something.
SOunds like your plan is a good one.

jakelliesmom said...

I'm with you. I can most certainly take the stairs from my car to office back and forth each day. And the water thing, too.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Yes, sign me up (I was already on board with the last post). In my case, though, (confesion time) I already have a gym membership which I pay money for, but which I haven't been using. They have child minding, so I have no excuse for not partaking... Shame! I will try to go this week... at least once. MIL is coming for a visit so much to do, much to do.

But I'm with you! I love yoga & have been missing it so I'm going to do the sun salutations... Did you say do 12 at once? Okay.

And I had to laugh at DMD's comment... I eat too fast too. I think it's a habit that was born of having to scorf food fast in between demands from the boys. It was eat fast or starve, but not so much now... so slowing down is a good idea.

I talk too much. Sorry for the long comment!

Sass E-mum said...

Reluctant, if you've found a gym with childcare, that's worth paying good money for. Go go go.

Next mission of the day will be to eat slowly. Sounds like it'll be hard for a lot of us.

Frog in the Field said...

Get a juicer...
Stop eating wheat...
Stop drinking tea, then you won't want to dunk biscuits in it!! (or is it just me that does that?)
Doing the above dropped me to a size 8 or 6 !!
I had always been a 12 / 14 before!!ps. I've regained the weight now though as I eat far too much and sit at my computer all day!

Cajunchic said...

Great ideas. I need to get my butt in gear and start working some of it off.