Saturday, May 10, 2008

We're going shopping. Want to come too?

At least one of us was excited to be going to the butcher's and out to breakfast this morning. I don't think that someone was called Ellie. It must be tough to always have a camera in your face.Recaro took this delightfully flattering photo of us. Ellie's hiding and I've got my eyes closed. Also there was so much glare off the water that I've had to photoshop this pic like crazy just so you can see I have a head.

He's no David Bailey or Mario Testino.
After 20 minutes of tough cycling along the promenade, we make it to the butcher's shop.
Did you catch the name?
The special offers basically consisted of selling items such as Beef! Chicken! Pork! Sausages!

I realise now I should have moved from where I was standing (holding the bike and baby up) so that I could maximise the full comic potential of this sign.

On the other hand, I was in a good spot to capture a shot of Recaro throwing himself out of the shop head first.
Onwards to the paper shop!
Which is right next door to a very funny little old fashioned shop. I love shop names which name real people. This one sells second hand furniture, cuts keys and lots of household gizmos which until you see them... you don't realise you need them.
Imagine yourself standing here. Peering in through the yellow anti-sunshine plastic which is there to prevent the discolouring and fading of, waaaaiittt for it, window squeegees. In fact, you don't want a window squeegee at all. But on the other hand, I don't want this shop to go out of business. This always leaves me pondering if I should go and buy a squeegee out of local-yokel loyalty.
Then we had to wait for our favourite cafe, Tea & Times to open. We went to the beach, saw people we know and generally hung out until T&T was ready for us.
If there's a caption for this photo,
it goes something like 'Give me a milkshake, NOW!'

6 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

Looks like you all had a lovely time!

Amanda said...

I love going on your trips with you. They always look like so much fun. I love the way Whitstable looks like a small village. It sort of reminds me of one of the islands near me. I love that out and about culture. Good times. Thanks for taking me.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Whee! I love shopping trips. Thanks for inviting me along.

Did Ellie get that milkshake?

scrappysue said...

that is SUCH a cute bike! i'm still trying to figure out where you live. love the photos you take.

oh, and happy mothers day everyone! well, everyone who's celebrating it on sunday may 11 (which is us)

CC said...

What cool shops! You know, I've never actually gone to a butchers before....

Sass E-mum said...

CC, you've never been to a butcher's - is that because there are none near you or are you a supermarket devotee?

Not all the meat will be cheaper, but it's probably tastier and is likely to have travelled less distance. Less plastic packaging too.

Butcher's sausages/chipolatas are often tastier. They are more likely to use natural skins instead of the plastic used in supermarket makes.