Saturday, June 28, 2008

Daring Bakers: for my bro

Here's a slice of this month's Daring Baker's challenge; apple and gooseberry danish. This post is dedicated to my brother who thinks that I lie when I say I can't bake. He could have a point.

It was quite a challenge. The pastry had to be rolled, folded and turned like puff pastry, before being finally rolled and cut ready for braiding...

After prooving, it puffed up into a massive plait - with enough spare to make pain au raisin.
So tasty, only four pain au raisins survived for the photo.
Here's the braid straight out of the oven. This time I used the fan setting properly, not just fan assisted. The oven baked the braid evenly. I felt quite professional.
Finally some icing - because that's how I like my danish. You'll notice only three pain au raisins by now.
This was a huge challenge - yet again, I wouldn't have attempted it without the Daring Bakers. Thanks guys.

Here come the rellies - just in time for dessert. Yummitty.

14 comments:

Ann said...

Really beautiful braid!

Angie said...

Wow ... this is really nice, you did a great job.

I love DB's!!

gigi said...

Wow, you did a wonderful job! I've never made a pie crust or anything that I've had to roll out, except sugar cookies. Way to go!!

Lorrie said...

you did a great job, everything looks delicious!

the end of motherhood said...

My heavens, you ARE a pro.

scrappysue said...

very daring. VERY yummy looking. how many scrolls left now???

sarah said...

Yours looks delicious too! I was shocked the cheese didn't come spilling out of mine, honestly. Perhaps the key was that I used farmer's cheese? Whatever the reason, it was a relief. Next time I really want to try a "savory" danish, but that seems ripe for disaster...

HoneyB said...

Beautiful braid!

Ally said...

Looks wonderful!

madcapcupcake said...

Oh yummy, really looks good!! I love the little ones!

Adrian said...

Oh yum! That looks really delicious! Wish I could bake, but I'm much better at the eating part....

Dolores said...

Apple and gooseberry... sounds divine. Great job on the June challenge.

Rebecca said...

Gooseberry? Fun!

breadchick said...

Love the gooseberry filling! Well done on your challenge this month!