Monday, June 16, 2008

Good things come to those who just can't wait

Happy birthday to me.Recaro, in his infinite wisdom, has given me an early birthday present.

Now before you get jealous at the thought of me holding a brand new dishcloth, squeegee or spoon, calm down. And there's no need to get fidgety at the thought of a back copy of 'Women's Own' or a recycled '101 uses for leftover beetroot'.

No siree.

I have a new Lumix LZ10. I like to point and shoot. SLRs are too bulky for me. However, I did enjoy reading through the manual. Not only did I learn stuff, but it really wound Recaro up. He couldn't take a look at the camera until I was sure about the order of unpacking stuff, loading batteries, charging batteries, loading memory card, working out the macro, timers for self-portraits and all sorts of other stuff.

Ha ha. Boys hate manuals.

So what did I learn? Well for a start I learnt to load images at low resolution to Blogger or else this post would have taken forever. Instead, this post was brought to you in minutes.

Here's a little local colour. These oyster shells aren't for use as portable ashtrays, fairy beds or jewellry holders. They go back on the seabed for another season's oysters. It's all very Lewis Carroll round here.
Then I wondered what was going to happen with the weather. Half the sky was clear and blue, the other was dark and treacherous. The sun was right in between. Would a quick point and click break the camera?
Yippee, no it didn't. My camera lives to see another day. Thank you, sports setting.

See the pretty flowers. Now I have a whole new perspective on photography.
Groan.

12 comments:

jakelliesmom said...

Oh, now I want one.

Trish said...

When is your birthday? My son's is today and mine is June 27th.

Sass E-mum said...

err... 5th August. He he.

Cajunchic said...

I love that one of you jumping. I have a Lumix also and it is great.

Working mum said...

Fab! It's so exciting getting a new camera. Perhaps you'll be lured into Mamageek's Photostory Friday?

We must have some role reversal going on in our house because I don't use manuals, I just set stuff up and have a go while husband is on page 2! I really annoyed him by setting up his new sound system in about 2 minutes!

Don Mills Diva said...

I'm jealous of your new camera - that shot of he clouds is just breathtaking.

THE MOM BOMB said...

Happy pre-birthday! Heck -- don't you deserve to celebrate your birthday EVERY day?

That pic with you jumping is awesome -- I need a sports setting.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Whee! Fun post. Love the picture of you jumping.

Nicol said...

First, Happy Birthday! I hope that it is wonderful.

Cameras are great gifts. I didn't get mine for my birthday, it is actually my husbands but I use it far more. I love seeing what people come up with.

The oyster shells...very interesting. I don't live near the ocean so I would have no idea what one could do with them.

gigi said...

Happy Birthday to you! Wonderful gift of a camera! Sweet hubby! Cute pictures.

scrappysue said...

happy birthday (when is it exactly?) welcome to the lumix club! i made DH buy me one in hong kong. i have the mega o.i.s./28mm wide blah blah blah (like i know what that is!) it's great! i take it everywhere in my bag. enjoy!!!

oh, and in our house, it's the opposite. i make DH read the manual and give me a precise in 25 words or less. i don't do manuals.

CC said...

Hurray for the new camera!!!!!!!!!