Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week 5- still running

Week one *** Week two *** Week three *** Week four

The Texas sheet cake is still in the fridge. Who knew a cake could last so long, but that's not because we lack enthusiasm for eating it... it's just so big. But then, that's how I like my cake.

Despite the munchies, I'm keeping on with the running and in fact, just got back from a two-mile run. Yoga happens now and then, as do the sit ups. I'm trying to lay off of joining in with Peaches' supper time snacks and alcohol only happens on the weekend.

A big bonus, is that Recaro has taken to making us sandwiches for lunch. This means that I don't have to think about going to a shop or cafe - where all sorts of chocolate and crisps lay in wait for me. It also takes away the obstacles between me and my running.

(By the way, I shall see what I can do to get him to write a guest post explaining why he does things like make my sandwiches, organise picnics and clean out the larder cupboard.)

Despite this activity, I'm still not losing any actual weight. This weekend I saw a photo of myself on the beach. Chub-a-lubba-lub is the phrase that springs to mind. Of course, it's possible that the Texas sheet cake has something to do with it. I need to rethink my attitude to food. The question is - what do I need to eat, because if I'm exercising my not losing weight, then I'm simply eating too much of the wrong stuff?
  1. More water. I should make sure that whenever I sit down, I have some water to hand.
  2. More fruit. I need to eat a couple of pieces of fruit a day. The company even supply the stuff for free. This should be so easy.
  3. If it were possible, I wouldn't eat so late. The earliest Recaro and I eat dinner is 8pm. 8.30-9pm is the norm during the week. I really can't see how we can change this - eating together is an important thing for us and I'm not going to change it. I suppose I have to settle for eating yet smaller meals - all of a sudden I realise what a significant rethink this is.
Who else is dieting out there? If any of you are on weight watchers or something similar, how is that working out in terms of eating with the rest of your family?

4 comments:

Working mum said...

Losing fat, but gaining muscle do you think?

I'm not dieting, but I need to rethink my approach to alcohol. I eat really well, but weekend comes and it's a few glasses of wine with nibbles. Mega calories in two hours. Not good.

Suggestion re eating late; I eat with daughter during the week as I think it's important for her, but I sit with husband later and have a cup of tea while he eats. We reverse this at weekends. Works for us.

I think this is the longest comment I've ever written. Sorry. I'll go now. Should be writing reports anyway.

Reluctant Housewife said...

My parents recently lost about 80lbs (combined) on a diet called "Simply for Life". I guess it really worked for them. They seem to be keeping the weight off too. I hear good things about weight watchers.

That being said... I don't think you look fat. Are you sure you're not putting too much pressure on yourself to be thin? You're fit, right? That's so much more important. I think you should have your cake & eat it too (you know, in moderation, of course)... And keep up with the fitness thing. The water and fruit are good ideas.

scrappysue said...

you are strangely motivating and lushly inspiring! i think you're being too hard on yourself. you are running, raising money, workin', motherin', and wifin (that's not a word). oh, and bloggin'...

i never think about what i NEED to eat, it's more a case of WANT.

life is short. eat cake first.

Adrian said...

I use a program called Weigh Down - check it out at Weighdown.com. Basically you can eat whatever you want, but you can only eat when you're truly HUNGRY and you are supposed to eat very small portions - 1/2 to a 1/4 of what you would normally eat. It's easy and some people have lost a lot of weight with it.