Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Filbert Gateau

This month's Daring Baker challenge was a Filbert Gateau. I did my research to find out just what an earth a Filbert is - only to discover it's a Kentish cobnut. If it was cobnut season (September) I'd be able to buy the real thing from a nearby farm, but as it's not, I had to use hazlenuts.

The very best thing was that I had to learn how to make hazlenut brittle. Woohoo. That's tasty. Guess what everone's getting for Christmas.

The worst thing... well that would have to be the icing. this made me laugh - a lot. Other people's gateaus are works of art, with smooth glossy ganache icing and fantastic buttercream piping.

Mind you, mine is still unique in it's own special way. Right now this cake is for sale at St Alphege Church. 50p a slice. What a hazlenutty bargain.I do have a photo of the innards - I'll download that later. Right now, I think these photos will give you a sugar rush just by looking at them.


Roll on the next challenge. Whatever it is, I'm going to eat it, not give it away.

16 comments:

Michelle said...

I love filberts and when I was a kid we had huge bowl of them every Christmas. But it's hard to find filberts now, in fact I don't think I've seen them in the stores in 20 years.

I like a more informal cake like yours. The fancy ones, never seem to taste as good!

Ann said...

Wasn't this an involved (but fun!) challenge? Great work!

Vera said...

Congratulations with the completed challenge! Too bad you gave it all away. Did you have a chance to taste it?

Pamela said...

I love it..so much less formal than the original! Fun and delis what could be better

amysingbaker said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge! Your cake does look scrumptious...I always like my homemade cakes to look homemade, if they are too perfect no one seems to believe that I actually baked it myself! Well done.

Natashya said...

Congrats on a great challenge! Your cake looks homey and inviting.

Veron said...

Gorgeous cake!

Faith said...

I love your cake!! :D It was a fun challenge, huh? And your cake is prettier than mine!!

Faith
http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com

THE MOM BOMB said...

I just want to do a head-dive into that cake and shove fistfuls of it into my mouth, the way a four year old would.

scrappysue said...

looks like an alien face AND TOTALLY YUMMY!!! it's not all about looks you know :)

hope the holiday week is going well - when's your birthday?

JMom said...

I like our homemade looking cakes :) I bet it tasted great.

NOT SO VANILLA said...

congrats on a great challenge this month! Thank you for the congrats on my 1st challenge. Hopefully see you next month!!
Feel free to check out my blog anytime!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

l love homemade cakes, or anything homemade by the giver..its all about the love isnt it...mothers cooking, baking, warming soups...warming the coockles of your heart..

l keep telling the kids, its made with love, so it should taste good?! hopefully...

they dont get it.... l keep thinking its the french/italian part of me....and the scottish part of them obviuosly doesnt get it!!

una donna dolce said...

wasn't it yum?!

Laura said...

I love your cake! Quite honestly, I was afraid of the challenge until I saw your cake. You made baking seem like fun and the cake seemed more accessible. I cited you on my blog. http://preheatovenandcallmom.blogspot.com/. Will you check it out and make sure that it is okay with you? If not, I'll take the reference down.

Thanks,
Laura

Lauren said...

Ooo, your cake looks wonderful! It's so cute!