Friday, July 4, 2008

Mad things to do with the kids

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


It's beyond me to resist questioning the intelligence of some people. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but every now and then I just find myself rushing to the moral high ground full of certainty that other people are mad.

It was for this very reason that I stopped reading our local paper. I was having to fight the urge to write weekly letters to the editor complaining of its sexism and shoddy journalism. I've had two letters in the local paper, which probably means I'm certifiable too. (At least it illustrates that blogging is one part of a bigger pattern which sees me splurging my thoughts and convictions to the world...)

Last Sunday, however, it just so happened that there was an armed siege less than 500 yards from the house. Roads were closed, armed police were swaggering about and there was no details of WHY to be had anywhere on the internet. So we stayed home, hoped it was nothing too horrible and bought the local newspaper four days later to find out more.

I'm showing you the pages, because it's always been my experience that newspapers are infinitely more interesting if read over someone else's shoulder.


If you click on the images to read the story, it would be a bit of a squint. Basically, a tenant living close to the harbour threatened his landlord with a samurai sword and said he was going to set the property alight. The landlord called the cops who then launched a four-hour armed siege to get the guy out of his flat.

Here's the mad part,

"Jenny Cross of Tankerton Road was walking to the High Street with her three-year-old son when she came across the drama.

"She said: 'I've been standing here waiting for something to happen for the last hour.'

"'It's pretty exciting. It's not every day something like this happens in Whitstable.'

"'It's the first time I've ever seen policemen with guns. I just hope noone gets hurt.'"

Is it just me, or isn't it really daft to stand around with your three-year-old son waiting for a gun siege to kick off?

While you mull that one over, I'll be getting on with packing for our summer, windsurfing holiday. Here's a hint of what we'll be wearing next week.
And yes, this is a three duck trip. I'm taking no chances.

13 comments:

carrie & troy keiser said...

How scary! And what was that woman thinking? Hello guns, bad guys and the police..... why would this ever be a situation you would knowingly put your child in?
Thanks for the story and the photos.

lisaschaos said...

That's scary about the stand off. But that baby bum wiped it all away for me. :)

Cecily R said...

How scary!

Rubber necking with a three year old...not so smart.

I'm with Lisa though. That baby bottom is just adorable.

Have a great holiday!!

Fabulous PSF!

gigi said...

Sorry about your neighborhood stand off with the police :(

Love the pink suited bum :)

scrappysue said...

some people are just plain stupid. full stop. i write letters to our local paper (which is a national paper) ALL THE TIME. i have given up looking to see if they print them after i've written them. sometimes people tell me they saw my name in print. i guess that makes me certifiable too, but when i see incompetence and stupidity, i cannot shut my mouth.

Working mum said...

I always wondered who those people were who wrote to local newspapers!

btw daughter had that gorgeous swim nappy and then the swimsuit as well. Ah, brought back memories. I had to buy her a black and yellow school Speedo suit for starting school yesterday - how different.

Adrian said...

I love European gun laws. The fact that the bad guy was using a Samurai Sword is really classic. If it were here, he'd be using an AK-57 and the guy wouldn't have stood a chance. Gun laws here in America are crazy. There are even some towns in Utah where they are trying to REQUIRE everyone to carry guns, which to me seems the height of insanity.

scrappysue said...

adrian, i heard about that! it was actually the topic of discussion here on saturday night. someone i was with was trying to sway me with the statistic that there is a town (somewhere) that required all its citizens to wear handguns and crime went down 81%. DUH. be afraid, be very afraid and live afraid. of course crime went down, it's a total no brainer (and brainLESS).

Jj said...

Oh yes, it's pretty daft alright! What a horror...

Trish said...

It amazes me how some people worry over silly matters where their children are concerned such as too much sugar or video games, but let's hang out at the stand off to see if there is any gun fire. Idiots.

Chris Osborne said...

Kids + Police with drawn guns = stupid supervision.

I'd think about charging her with child endangerment.

Cajunchic said...

Umm ok. How exciting I get to watch the drama of a movie and my kid could get hit by a stray bullet in the mean time. I can not think of anything more entertaining.

the end of motherhood said...

Every good trip is a three duck trip.