Monday, July 21, 2008

New pudding for summer fruit

My mother-in-law came over for lunch yesterday. Often Recaro takes over the kitchen when his mum visits. He's very good at roast dinners. But since he'd spent the past two days being a booze hound at the Golf Open, I thought it might be a better idea if I stepped up and took charge.

Main course was a tried and tested cheese, bacon and courgette quiche. However, I was in the mood to experiment with dessert.

Pudding would be an all new, never tried before Cherry Clafoutis. Think of it as a sweet toad in the hole - with big fat cherries instead of sausages. (Ha ha, that's so going to confuse anyone who doesn't know what toad in the hole is). Cherries would transform a hot pudding into something summery.

Writing this post, I now realise how eggy this meal was. Ah well, it was tasty. Everyone had seconds and we ate it all over again for supper.
I messed up by adding twice as much flour as the recipe said, but it turned out fine. The recipe (from the London Evening Standard) also needed either a hotter oven or for the clafoutis to be cooked twice as long. So I'm going to give you the recipe amended to my version.
  1. Preheat the oven to 160*C and butter a shallow baking dish.
  2. Stone 500g cherries. Pour 250ml of red wine and 250g sugar into a saucepan and boil gently until all the sugar has melted. Pour the wine and sugar over the cherries and allow to cool.
  3. Mix 2 eggs and 4 egg yolks with 100g sugar. Stir in 250ml double cream and fold in 50g flour. (If you like, you can also add 50g kirsh to this batter - I didn't and it was still yummy).
  4. Drain the cherries and spread the cherries across the baking dish. Pour the batter mix over the top.
  5. Bake in the hot oven for 35 minutes. Expect the pudding to almost double in height.
  6. Serve sprinkled with icing sugar and cream.
If you make it, perhaps you could let me know what you think of it.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Wonder if I could do this with blueberries? It looks delicious. I love quiche, too. Wish there was a pic of that. Your food always looks very, very tastey!!

gigi said...

I don't know what a toad in the hole is? But that looks wonderful! I bet it tasted great too!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

looks marvelous, l'm so gonna try that...just gotta check on the cherries, fresh? how do you get the stones out..duh...

Mmmmm with cream? from frais?


well done you...

CC said...

I don't really like pudding, or eggs, but that looks delish!

Adrian said...

I'm totally (toadally?) baffled. have no idea what either toad in the hole or clafoudis is. But it looks delish!

scrappysue said...

hey u got a blogroll! and i CANNOT believe it still thinks i updated 2 months ago! i'm beginning to get a complex!