Friday, July 25, 2008

Slowly, slowly, slowly along the seaside path

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


Recaro and I took Peaches to Tea & Times for breakfast and a milkshake. He headed off for work and I went for a walk around the harbour and along the beach. I'm not sure if many of you will be familiar with just how slowly a child can walk...

I was surprised. After all, every time I want to stand still in one place to look at something or talk to someone, Peaches seems to develop the ability to move really fast. I did try pretending to leave her, saying goodbye and walking off. That tactic didn't phase her though. She just waved 'Bye, bye' to me and played with the pebbles. Gah - she's so secure that I love her and won't really desert her. (That's a good thing, isn't it?)

At least her incredible slowness gave me a chance to take some photos. I thought this one wasn't going to work, but then I jazzed it up in iPhoto and the colours came alive.

*********************

As previous readers will know, I am THE strangely lush tourist board for Whitstable. So imagine if you will, that you arrived in town this morning. You might be squeezing your family into one or two of these fisherman huts overlooking the sea.
After testing the beds and making sure the shower's working, take a short stroll past the yacht club and the RNLI station to harbour. It's got a market on today.It's one of the few places where I've seen some bright all in ones and pyjamas that would be good for little boys. Not many children's clothes designers have realised the potential of interesting boys clothes. Maybe that's all about to change, because I thought these looked like fun.
See... applique doesn't have to mean tractors.
This market was supposed to be a farmers' market. There are a couple of fruit and veg stalls, but there were loads selling just cherries and strawberries.

Only one very gorgeous stall was selling strawberries in chocolate. 
If you had just arrived in town, you'd be ready for a coffee by now. This one comes with a handy coffee lounge if you like to sit down and drink. I always remember a friend's mum saying, 'it's common to eat in the street'. Have to say it's a thought that has always stuck with me - it speaks to my inner uptight suburban mumness.
Clearly, I'd make an exception for ice cream. I think this could be something for the afternoon.At this point, I went home, very very very slowly taking photos along the way. 

If you were here for the weekend though, there'd still be lots more to explore. Later this evening there will be live music at a the beach side Brewery Bar where they are holding its annual Beer Festival.

What are you waiting for? Has anyone got Whitstable on their 'to visit' list?

18 comments:

JennWasHere said...

very great series of pictures! i love the very first one. you captured the emotion there!

I am new at PSF and my entry can be read HERE. Please stop by if you have some time. Happy weekends!

gigi said...

I love that you are "THE strangely lush tourist board for Whitstable"
Your pictures are beautiful and really make me want to book a stay in the fisherman's huts. The colors are awesome!

Madame Queen said...

Will it be alright if I get there tomorrow?

And do I know how slow a toddler can walk? DO I EVER??? Our entire vacation was spent walking backward trying to encourage Punkin to walk faster! It's maddening, I tell you.

Nicol said...

Great pictures! It looks like a great place to visit. If I didn't have to take several planes to get there, I might consider going. Someday I plan on visiting the UK and hopefully I will get to see the smaller side to it too.

Trish said...

Whistable looks absolutely charming -- I'd love to visit.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I definitely have chocolate covered strawberries on my "to eat" list!

April said...

Cool colors! Very bright and colorful.

Working mum said...

If only it wasn't so far away and petrol so expensive! It looks a friendly and interesting place to live and now I want those strawberries!

MamaGeek said...

WOWZA, these shots are nothing short of eye candy. Very cool. And I'll be there soon! :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

I DO NOW, is it close to me? Your photos are gorgeous, I mean really. You completely sold me by the time we hit the strawberries.
I kind of like those slow walks. Except when we're trying to get one of the boys somewhere and Miss Ky is doing that "assured I won't ever abandoned her" thing. I love that you're an iphoto gal too ! :-)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I understand S_L_O_W moving kids.I think the first shot is very cool! Thanks for the virtual tour of the market.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

ME me me!! am sittinga tw ork, checking out my blogging pals latest posts. its very quiet here in the museum as its actually very humid and hot here in Carlisle!!

take care of them there shoudlers, you caught the sun you lucky duck...

saz x

Jennifer said...

I totally get the slow moving kids things - but I try to remember how much further they have to work, as compared to myself gosh it's hard though!

Cecily R said...

Fabulous fabulous shots...the colors are wonderful. Love this PSF entry!!!

scrappysue said...

it sure is, but not this year! it just looks so fun and sea-sidey!!! must def visit some day

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

just wanted to comment on your camera skills, great pics and the one of peaches? sitting on the floor is so evocative....

Lulu said...

Absolutely! I'm so there... As soon as I can afford to hop over the pond.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

btw..lv ejust tuned into this phot friday deal...what do i do> just copy the code and put into my post, is it that simple...l dont need to register or nought??

thanks