Monday, August 11, 2008

Back to work - or did it ever stop?

Today, I returned to paid work. I don't feel like I've had much of a break. Recaro's bout of sickness was followed by Peaches being sick on Saturday. She woke from her midday nap and vom'd all over her cot. I spent the rest of the afternoon curled up on the sofa with her while she dozed and puked until bedtime.

She's more resilient - and may I say, a better patient - than Recaro. By Sunday morning she was as right as rain again. However my holiday felt even more wiped out after spending Sunday with my... let's say, chatty... mother-in-law at Broadstairs folk week. (Broadstairs folk week will forever be referred to as hell on earth - more morris dancers, ice cream, old people, small children, hot sunshine, thunderstorms, sandy beach, Charles Dickens fancy dressers, than anyone should ever see in their entire life time).

I feel strangely better and more at ease after a few concentrated hours in a quiet office.

Here's the update I'm sure you've ALL been waiting for; potty-training.

Peaches is getting the hang of potty time and has had a few goes at sitting on the child seat on the toilet. In truth, she has done only one actual, factual, unforced, entirely on target, wee in the potty. But hey, she's 22 months old and that on-target-wee was only on day three. Day four and five were shot to pieces by sickness and day trips out.

Despite this, I'm optimistic about the progress Peaches is making with potty training and our enthusiasm for sticking with it. This is mostly because the childminder will be doing clean up duty today, but also I'm tight and don't want to buy any more nappies. Peaches is at her fabulous childminder's house with plenty of spare clothes and knickers. If I don't have to buy any more nappies - for this baby at least - I'll be a very happy mother.

I'll find out later this afternoon whether the childminder, who has far greater experience and wisdom in these matters than I do, thinks I'm being over ambitious. At least I haven't had an email about it yet. That's got to be a good thing, hasn't it?

To help me through this difficult time... Nivea has kindly sent me a pot of anti-wrinkle cream. I'll be testing this pot of Q10 plus moisturiser over the next few weeks to see if it'll knock a few years off and soften my Klingon brow. How did they know? They must read this blog - I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I'm hoping they'll pass the word to Apple, Tiffany and Furla...

5 comments:

scrappysue said...

my advice to you is no good as you have already started potty training, but if i had to do it over again, i would totally wait until the child could say 'excuse me mum, i don't want to wear nappies anymore - please show me the way to the toilet!" of course i started around the same time as you and had my fair share of accidents. thankfully, it was a loooooooooong time ago now...

Madame Queen said...

Glad everybody is feeling better. What a terrible way to spend a holiday, though it sounded like your birthday went off alright. Honestly, though, I couldn't decipher half of what you ate that night. :)

Trish said...

When my friend lived in England I was surprised (as was she) how early the kids are potty trained there -- or how late kids are trained in the states. My daughter is 22 months old and I'm thinking we have at least a year before I even begin to try. My older two were trained at 34 months. I literally took their diapers off one day and told them they had to use the potty -- one accident later and they've been using the potty ever since. My son never even had a night time accident, my older daughter 2 or 3 times. My philosphy was that I'd rather change diapers for 6 more months, rather than cleaning dirty underpants or a soiled floor.

Amanda said...

I love the dirty underwear thing. I think I have mentioned how wonderfully that worked for me. But I also figured that out when Jackson was turning 3. But Madi was potty turning 2 at the time and potty trained right along side of him. I think I will start trying with Emma Mae soon and will be happy to kiss diapers goodbye forever within the next year.

CC said...

My daughter was 20 months when she potty trained. I got it in my head to start, and then I was too stubborn to stop and admit defeat. Any who... it worked out just fine for her (but my son was a lot older).

I return to paid work soon....