Thursday, September 4, 2008

Scotland the Brave

I'm packing again. We'll be flying to Inverness, seeing friends, catching a ferry to the island of Colonsay for a few days and then going to Torridon to stay in a fab old hotel. I have a week of windswept beaches, big scenery, mountains and rivers, wildlife and good food ahead of me.

Last year we went to the Isle of Mull and visited Iona. It was a bit windy but we had clear blue skies and beautiful beaches.

Peaches was a lot smaller then and at eight months old was still bottom shuffling. Very cute, quite slow and pretty predictable. We had lots of sitting around time on this holiday.

This time things will be different. Running, chatting, tantruming (if she thinks we are hiding chocolate from her) and spilling. The tantruming is a recent development. Recaro and I are discussing strategies for dealing with this, including;
  • ignoring (pretty good for wearing her out at the end of the day, but noisy if with company)
  • offering a cuddle (she's relieved to get the sympathy even if we are still refusing the chocolate)
  • distracting (this involves lots of chatting and is my favourite for when we are out and about)
The other thing that I anticipate involves another milestone in Peaches' potty training. She's learnt how to pull her jeans and knickers down and to take herself to her potty. This is pretty thrilling stuff and I'm very proud of her.

I might have communicated that to her a little too well though. For most of the day she's been trying to walk around with her kit around her ankles.

Very cute, but a little too much information I think.

Hopefully it'll be sunny or else she'll freeze her butt.

6 comments:

Working mum said...

Uh oh, hope this isn't the start of the terrible twos! Daughter's lasted from 18 months to 3 and a half. That was two years of tantrums!

Enjoy Scotland! Beautiful country.

MamaGeek said...

Scotland? Color me jealous!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Ooh, I'm jealous too!
Miss Ky is just starting to take off the nappy. Tonight I found her sitting in the bidet. fun times ahead.

Have a great trip!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Have a good trip!

scrappysue said...

i couldn't post a comment on that baby shower post! i was going to say, i'll go to the champagne cream tea thingee for you!!!

Amanda said...

I couldn't figure out why I hadn't commented on this and then I remembered. I sat here wondering what a bidet was and totally lost my focus.

Anywho, you get to go so many fabulous places. What a wonderful, happy life your sweet little family has. That beach looks like absolute paradise. Good Luck!!