Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The journey from a cot to a bed



When we took the side off Peaches' cot, I wrote about my hopes of her going to the potty at night and sending herself back to bed. It turns out my fears were misplaced.

Instead it's been a problem getting her into bed at all. Fortunately, I've been suitably philosophical about this and it appears that my solution is working out.

The first night, she went to bed at 7.20pm. I read her stories and she snuggled up. After turning out the light and singing nursery rhymes she complained loudly and jumped out of bed. After a bit of argy bargy refusals to get into bed, Recaro offered to take over.

Okidokee I thought. I'd prefer to have let her simmer down and try again, but if he wants to give it a shot, I won't say no to some shared parenting endeavour.

I sat down and read the paper. The next thing I know, Recaro brings Peaches into the living room and tells me she's not sleepy. 'Pmph', I thought. Parenting, schmarenting.

Having tidied up the toys, I stop Peaches playing with her toys and tell her I'll read her a story instead and then it's back to bed. I told her there's no playing after bedtime - it's very very dull and the only thing to do is to sleep.

I take her back downstairs and go through the bed time routine again. I put her to bed and she gets out. I hold her while she wails and tell her, 'no playing, it's sleeptime, you can have a cuddle on my lap'. She wailed and wailed. Recaro comes back to the bedroom. I think he was concerned that I was about to lose my rag. I wasn't though and I told him Peaches was not going to go back upstairs (we have an 'upside down' house). Reassured that I'm really very calm - and very determined to crack bed time difficulties - he retreats to a safe distance behind the laptop...

After a sip of water (he he, I've banned milk after toothbrushing because I'm paranoid about wrecking her teeth) she calms down. She tries getting me to read books, but I take them from her and put them on the floor saying, 'no. it's time for sleep'.

She tries the book thing three times. Next time she goes for the door, but I block it with chair, sit down and put her on my lap again. There are tears but she accepts water and calms down again. One last attempt at a book.

And then she goes to sit on her bed. She gives me the bewildered look of a broken spirited toddler who realises that mummy has more patience than she realises. Regretfully she tucks herself up and goes to sleep at 8.45pm till 6.30am the next day. Despite my 'success' I feel rotten for having got my way by adult perseverance. How unfair is that?

The next day, we did a simpler shorter version of the above. From a 7.2o bedtime, she was settled and sleeping by 7.45am. Today, it took 25 minutes again. I'd like it to be quicker, but I can deal with this. She is at least asleep by 8.

I have been checking on her at 10.30. In her bedtime dismay she goes to sleep on her tummy. Having read of toddler cot deaths, I have to check that she's rolled over before I go to bed. So far I've not been tested with the need to turn her over - and risk waking her.

I've had to go for this slow patient route to bedtime, because I fear the picking her and returning her to bed just gets us both cross. I hate the thought of being tempted to lose control when dealing with Peaches in a tantrum. My preference is to encourage a calm attitude in us both. I'm sure there are people who can manhandle their children into bed without getting cross - it's just that I'm not one of them.

IN OTHER NEWS... I was on a train during Barack Obama's inauguration. Just after picking up the parking ticket left on my car (I forgot to put the parking ticket on display...) I listened to the last three sentences of his speech. At least I'll remember where I was - damn those efficient car park attendants.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I think you handled it perfectly. Good for you for not losing your cool. That's a tough one for me.

Don't feel bad about enforcing the structure, though. It's really important and they NEED it, badly. We're parents because they don't come out of the womb knowing all of these things. It's our job to teach them. That's my philosiphy, anyway.

Also, I think the tummy thing may just be for younger babies. All of my kids have slept on their tummies since they were able to roll over. That sure would be a nightmare to wake her to roll her over.

Good job, mama!!

We're going to Disney again in March and I've got a Minnie in mind for a certain precious little gal.

Reluctant Housewife said...

You are doing great! Keep up the good work and in no time she'll go to bed quickly and with little fuss.

PS: I'm totally impressed your calm and patience.

Yes and like Amanda said, I've read and been led to understand that once a baby can roll over from their stomach onto their back by themselves that it's find to let them sleep on their stomachs. I think the worry mainly comes from them being stuck like that.

ed said...

A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品.情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,視訊聊天室,情趣,情趣用品,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣麻將,台灣彩卷,六合彩開獎號碼,運動彩卷,六合彩,遊戲,線上遊戲,cs online,搓麻將,矽谷麻將,明星三缺一, 橘子町,麻將大悶鍋,台客麻將,公博,game,,中華職棒,麗的線上小遊戲,國士無雙麻將,麻將館,賭博遊戲,威力彩,威力彩開獎號碼,龍龍運動網,史萊姆,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆第一個家,史萊姆好玩遊戲區,樂透彩開獎號碼,遊戲天堂,天堂,好玩遊戲,遊戲基地,無料遊戲王,好玩遊戲區,麻將遊戲,好玩遊戲區,小遊戲,電玩快打情趣用品,情趣,A片,AIO,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色文學,色情,寄情竹園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,色情影片,情趣內衣,情趣睡衣,性感睡衣,情趣商品,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室 ,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080苗栗人聊天室,080聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊借錢,黃金,黃金回收,黃金價格,黃金買賣,當舖A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載,成人網站,做愛,自拍