Saturday, January 31, 2009

My amateur, narcisstic, opinionated blogs

Celebrity bloggers are sooo annoying. Their intimate, over-sharing is embarrassing and unnecessary. Don't they have all the opportunities of TV, press and radio interviews. Not to mention the coverage they get in Heat, Look, Closer and so on.

But oh look, just like Don Mills Diva they get misquoted. Journalists get lazy about sourcing information and take quotes out of context. Even a respected publication like The Times and Times Online gets lazy.

Maybe blogging and tweeting give them an opportunity to speak direct to their audience without being misinterpreted by a journalist. Funny though, the press just regard them as exercises in navel-gazing.

What if it happened to me? Would I be so cross if it was me who was misquoted. Well, duh. Yes I would be. I write an internal communications magazine for my company and I check every quote. Even the stuff that I think doesn't matter. I do this because I appreciate that people don't like surprises particularly when their professional reputation is on the line.

I'm surprised the Times doesn't have higher standards about attribution. In articles such as the one where Kelly was quoted, readers certainly think that everyone who has been quoted has been interviewed. The article has a very different tone from one that is lifted, say, from a company's press release.

I do run the risk of someone not liking my blog (I know - how unlikely is that?). I might be trolled. I might be trolled by a print journalist! I blog because it gives me something I don't get from the print and broadcast media. Personal connection with other people interested in the same thing as me - parenting, work/life balance, having fun.

In terms of my other blog about sport, it gives me a forum to talk about women's sport. The press barely cover that at all. I'm not talking about exercising. We all know there are blogs about diet and fitness (even though I did write my own strangely lush fitness plan). I mean coverage of women in competitive sport at local, national and international levels. The UK press stink at that. I have written to The Guardian about this... I don't think it's too bothered by my opinion.

So whether I'm incorrectly attributed - or ignored altogether - blogging gives me the last word. I like that.

8 comments:

Hullaballoo said...

Blogging is such a good way of communicating with the wider world and feeling more connected. If fosters individuality and friendship, whilst being accessible and convenient. I love reading other bloggers' writing, it is witty, incisive, warm and inspiring, just like your blog.

Hulla
xx

Don Mills Diva said...

You check each quote because you take pride in your work and that is the mark of a great writer!

Write on!

Heather said...

I came via Don Mills Diva's blog. I wrote a post too, I was actually plagiarized about a year ago, and I wanted to share my feelings. Thanks for joining in on this movement! :]

Tessa said...

Your blog is by no means amateur, narcisstic or opinionated! It's refreshing, interesting, inspiring and beautifully written. Thank you.

The Dotterel said...

You say it (The Guardian) won't be bothered by your opinion - but it should be. Blogging continues to pull the rug from underneath the feet of newspapers, and they should be very, very worried.

Woman in a Window said...

Blogging is so much more than any one person understands but I certainly think that those on the outside have cast a lazy opion on blogs.

I saw Don Mills Diva's post and was proud to be a blogger after that!

Ginaagain said...

You are definitely not an amateur and don't appear to be narcisstic.. and there's nothing wrong with being opinionated! Thanks for your article and good for you for writing a blog on women's sport. You are right.. it's terrible that there is virtually no coverage.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Hi there! I clicked over from DMD. I've jumped on the bandwagon, too.

You're one of my fav. bloggers - but then you must already know that.

Rock on, Sass!

xo