Thursday, January 29, 2009

Soft furnishings go... odd

I've been meaning to post about this for a week or two. I'd seen some cushions and they got me thinking. Now this isn't a post about decorating - sorry, I know there are people out there who would find that compelling blog material.

This is about icons and scatter cushions. I suppose you can imagine a cushion with fabulous embroidery and applique around an image of Elvis. You could even imagine iconic images of Princess Diana and Marilyn Monroe on a (maudlin) teenage girl's collection of cushions.

If you are of a more radical frame of mind, you might want to consider planting your butt in a disrespectful fashion on the faces of dictators past and present. 'Take that Mugabe/Stalin/Hitler!' you'd mutter as you settled down to watch the latest episode of Grand Designs.

But would you ever, really, choose to put Anne Frank's image on a throw cushion?

Because that's what I saw this month in the window of a fabric shop on Wigmore Street in central London.

If you find photos of Anne Frank compelling - for reasons such as the pointlessness of her death and the vivid personality expressed in her diary - would you ever consider making yourself comfy on her image?

On the flip side, are anti-semitic, holocaust-deniers likely to adorn their sofas with her image?

The question is (in the style of Carrie Bradshaw) ... is there a time and place when an Anne Frank cushion is not just acceptable but the very best choice of all?

6 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I think the throw cushion is extreme. There's a time and place for everything. It seems rather to cheapen it, don't you think?

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

is there a time and place when an Anne Frank cushion is not just acceptable but the very best choice of all?

No I don't think there is....nought to do with anti-semitism, I think its just incongruous, her 'image' isn't iconic..her story is....so by association...NAH can't persuade myself sorry...

well spotted Sass

Melipop said...

I am currently liking the restaurant in Birmingham that has Chairman Mao a la Warhol emblazoned across it's massive wall. And I never fail to appreciate people like Paris Hilton wearing Che T-shirts and the like. Brilliantly observed as usual Sass.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oy Ve. I think that question deserves a big ole NO! :)

Amanda said...

I've typed in 3 different, very funny, although totally inappropriate, comments that I have deleted. Really the whole thing just makes me uncomfortable. What do you say to an Anne Frank pillow??????

chris said...

we have quite a few cushions, throws, and other quality soft furnishing, and we're based in Stansted, take a look see what you think? feel free to review our site..