Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another milestone

Fhionnport, Isle of Mull

My adventurous little girl spent her first day in pre-school nursery on Monday.

Arguably it's a little early for 'school', but there were a number of reasons for our decision:

1. She's confident and sociable. She can handle the challenge.
2. She's so happy and secure at the childminder's that it would be good to put her through the challenge of pre-school while she still has three fabulous days a week with the heavenly childminder.
3. It's easier to get a child into pre-school of choice over the summer months rather than wait till September.

She'd been sick on Sunday and was still a little bit under the weather on Monday but she went anyway. And she was fine. She made friends, played well, had a big afternoon nap and painted a picture of a gorilla (that's an orange splodge to you and me).

Because I'm a responsible, loving mother I phoned to check she was settling in okay. Everything was good. As I put the phone back on the hook, I start sobbing.

It's the overwhelming feeling of love and loss that does for me. As I prepare Peaches to face new situations, I realise I'm preparing her to go her own way. It's all as it should be. I just have to cry about it now and then.

9 comments:

Joby said...

Aww hugs, its not the first tears you shed, you spend so much time helping them to grow and take steps of independence, then tears as they seem to be moving away.

Vic said...

Just wait till she starts big school....

gigi said...

Good to see you are still around :)

I think we have all been there. I took them to school thier frist day and came home and cried too. It's just what mommies do. You've done well.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Awww... You're a big heart. And such a great mom. Hugs.

scrappysue said...

absolutely right. it's still emotional tho...

Dan said...

I know the feeling well.

someone once told me that from the moment your child is born parenthood is an exercise in letting go. That might be true, but it doesn't make it any less upsetting.

Woman in a Window said...

Bittersweet, it is. But all necessary. You're doing great. (Funny how it is often we moms that need the reassurance and not the kids.)

Working Mum said...

Aw, I remember being the same when Izzy started nursery. Even though I'd left her at the childminder's every day, there was something different about going to pre-school. It wasn't one person being a substitute mummy and caring for her as I would.

I'm sure you'll enjoy hearing the tales of what she's done there though. I know I do.

imbeingheldhostage said...

aww, bless! It's hard sending off the love of your life. That's how I felt sending Aiden off-- he was more than ready, but I sure wasn't. I've been thinking the Miss Ky is ready too (she ticked all those reasons you listed except for a Heavenly child minder), but thought I needed to wait until Sept. I can go in now? Preschools don't mind children starting in the summer?

Oh, and when you get a chance, come over please.

Happy wednesday to you!