Friday, September 18, 2009

Strong words


I'm coming to terms with the fact that Peaches is not a baby any more. Of course, she'll always be 'my baby'. And there are days when she's cuddlier and more demanding.

But right now, each day features another way that she'll test the boundaries and it's my challenge to stay one step ahead.

  • Shaddup, mummy. Well excuuuuse me, but we don't say shut up in this house. The trick is to never find it amusing, to always remind her we don't say it and to ask for an apology. So far so good.

  • Poo, poo. Mmm. I don't know anyone else who sings the 'poo poo' song. However, by not freaking out and saying that it's not a nice song, her interest in it is waning. Slowly. Perhaps it hasn't helped that we have applauded the occasional potty experience, culminating in her leading us to the potty and with a flourish of hands, announcing, 'Ta daaaaa'.

  • She won't eat vegetables. Well until today. When I didn't give her lunch, didn't let her drink too much juice and didn't give any snacks. And said we'd only do painting if she ate all her veg. That seemed to work. So now I know she can...

Maybe I'm a freak, but I am completely loving these challenges. I don't use the 'counting to three' technique very often, but - gah, I LOVE how that works.

You do realise, I'm living in the moment, don't you? I know she'll get ahead of me one day. Just not today, okay?


5 comments:

scrappysue said...

yes indeed,. just wait until the day she actually thinks she's smarter than you. it's never the same after that!!!

imbeingheldhostage said...

love it!

gigi said...

She is such a cutie and growing so fast. Good luck :)

Nicol said...

I totally relate! Livy has been telling me to go away. She wants to be left alone. I'm not too sure about this yet. The joy of toddlers.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Counting the 3 used to work with Buddy. I never even had to go past 2. Monkey, though? No way. He was totally on to me from the beginning. It never worked.

I love your attitude about Peaches' growing independence. You're a great mom!