Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Write a blog and be respected


Ever felt that shiver of shame at being regarded as a 'mommy blogger'? Well have no fear. There's just one or two rules to follow and you too can be taken seriously as a writer or social commentator.



First up, don't post photos of your children just because they are finally wearing that cute pink hat. Or spotty boots. Using your child as a fashion plate demeans you and the child. Get serious, think of an erudite subject and research it. Form your own opinions.



Hey you! Yes, you there at the back. Stop gazing at the baby photos already.




Create time for yourself to write and be creative. Don't let your child(ren) stay up too late or get up too early. Teach them to tell the time and stop bothering you. When they do finally crash out, do not, repeat do not, whip the camera out to record their dreamy features for posterity.



Go and use that time to do something useful.



I'm looking at you, when I say this. Step away from camera.

Look on your time with children as a learning experience. Don't chuckle at their poor pronunciation, but enunciate clearly so they learn to communicate effectively.



Don't perpetuate their amusing little ways that will end up seeing them being ridiculed in a school yard.



Even if that is how she keeps her fingers crossed for good luck (and chocolate raisins).

Finally, don't use a phoney theme of 'how to be a serious writer' just to show off your child's first written word. Even if it is 'mummy'.



Noone's going to fall for that.






12 comments:

scrappysue said...

i see this purely as a win win. outstanding writing, AND cute pictures too!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I love you. When I stop laughing I will find more to say about this brilliant post.

Hilary said...

Very cute. Imbeingheldhostage had me come take a look and I'm glad I did. Crossed fingers.. just too adorable. :)

Reluctant Housewife said...

You're brilliant. I loved this.

I'm so tired of 'how to blog properly', 'how to grow your following', ' how to market your blog' posts. Reading one that's a spoof of those is like a breath of fresh air. Hilarious!

Plus - pictures of Peaches are always a good thing. She's the cutest anywhere. Anywhere, I say!

Working Mum said...

All I can think is "Aw bless!"

Was there some writing in that post?

Maggie May said...

Came here via Hilary who said that imbeingheldhostage recommended you! Phew a round about way of saying things! Well..... I am glad she did because I thought this was very funny!
I love the child in the pink beret and the spotty tights. I just love to see children walking away from the camera with good scenery behind. This is the usual way I snap my grandchildren (who never get exploited on my blog) LOL!

Nuts in May

Moannie said...

You are funny. Found you by the same roundabout route as Hilary.

Moannie said...

You are funny. Found you by the same roundabout route as Hilary.

Gaston Studio said...

So cute. Congrats on POTW.

Brian Miller said...

lol. a humorous look at blogging...love it!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

YEs they will, do and did....great post and pics as usual...so pleased you've been recognised...and lauded!!

from one sass to another (saz)

I could see that she had written Mum from the get go....

yeah!!!

gaelikaa said...

Funny! But true!