Friday, November 6, 2009

Gunpowder, treason and plot

'Remember, remember, the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot'

For the uninitiated, non-British readers among you, 5 November is the day when the British light bonfires, burn Guy Fawkes effigies and set off fireworks.

This is all to celebrate the 17th Century capture and burning of a man called Guy Fawkes who was found in the cellars of the Palace of Westminster (Parliament) with barrels of gunpowder. He was scapegoated as the ringleader of a Catholic plot, which is why some towns go a step further and burn effigies of the Pope. I think that's gruesome and nasty and it's a relief not to live among people who feel happy doing that.

Some people take the opportunity to burn political effigies. I believe more than a few Margaret Thatchers and President Bushs have gone up in flames over the years.

But here in Whitstable? We just love a party on the beach.

Friends of the Fountain (not a secret society) get together under the direction of Tony H to light a bonfire and enjoy a huge firework display.

That's me sitting behind Peaches. I had just made it home from London which is why I'm wearing such a fab coat and a pair of boots instead of my usual scruffy stuff.

By the way, I had hoped for a winsome picture of Peaches looking up at the sky, but I couldn't wrestle the camera off of Recaro.

At least I can show you one of his rather strange photos of the fireworks though.

And a couple of lusher ones.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

scrappysue said...

pretty cool tho! we stayed at home like a couple of nanas. 3 of the 4 girls all went to the big city display!

Working Mum said...

Great pictures. And my thought on seeing the first one was "I like that coat!" then you mentioned it! Similar tastes. I also liked the cute little girl standing in front of the coat; was she not scared by the noise, we still can't take our daughter out to a display because of the noise, we watch from our windowa.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Those are pretty cool fireworks shots. And the one of you, your smile says it all...oh wait-- surely Recaro took more pics of you that included your head?
Fawkes nite at the beach sounds divine!