Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The more you watch, the more you learn?

When I was a child, there was no such thing as TV in the morning. I still remember the test card. I have vague memories of BBC2 not even broadcasting until the afternoon.

By the time I was teenager, Channel 4 (4, I tell you - how many channels does a person need, I thought) had been invented and breakfast TV had arrived. Not that I ever watched it. My parents didn't believe that anything could be better than the Today programme on Radio 4 (Radio Bore according to Recaro).

Times. How they change.

Now I let Peaches watch Cbeebies and I've even been converted to Channel 5's Milkshake.

I wouldn't have done this except that I read a Zoe William's article in The Guardian where she declared it the market leader in toddler telly. I'm easily led.

So this morning, Peaches was watching the Little Princess. I'm fond of this programme. We read the Little Princess book about potty training to Peaches for a month before getting the potty out. And what do you know, she grasped the basics of potty training by the age of 2. Give or take a few accidents.

This morning's episode didn't seem to have much in it that was educational, except for a plot element where it was explained to Little Princess that it was okay for her to 'change her mind'. 'Everybody does it' apparently.

As I tried to dress Peaches for the day ahead, she objected to her black leggings. Or liquorice legs as I like to call them. Peaches said 'No, I want the pink flower leggings'.

Since such leggings DO NOT EXIST it was easy to no. I put everything else on her and said that's okay she could go to the childminder's in her knickers. I thought I'd at least postpone the battle till I was a little more awake.

By the time I'd finished tidying up the kitchen I returned to the living room (or LOUNGE as Peaches likes to call it - oooooooh posh - the things she learns at the minder's...), Peaches was wearing her liquorice legs.

She smiled up at me. 'I changed my mind.'

The telly is staying.
****************************
In other news, here's some pics of our weekend in Norfolk with Grandad and GrannyD, plus a couple of their mates. We stayed at the Victoria in Holkham.

Holkham beach has mahoosive sand dunes just made for hide and seek.


There was the strangest sense of being on a set, but honestly we were on a real beach.

Of course, despite the sunshine and laughter, things did end in tears. Peaches was far too tired to walk back across this huge beach and I wouldn't carry her. But while she lay on the ground, rolling about in the world of cross, I saw an opportunity to show you how big the sky is.

And then I put her on my shoulders and carried her back to the hotel for tea.

After all, everyone changes their mind sometimes.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I know i know hazzards of letting your kids watch tv blah blah, truth of the matter is these days they really do learn a lot from it. My little girl amazed me the other day by proving she could count to five. We had only got to three and that was a bit hit and miss but all of a sudden after watching mickeys clubhouse she was counting to five without thinking about it.

scrappysue said...

oh yes. get used to the mind changing...i love the places you stay - so old and grand looking!

imbeingheldhostage said...

LOVE the beach. I need to go there more often...
Great pictures (and you owe Peaches a big thank you-- you might have missed that big sky if she hadn't had her little spell) :-)

Dulwichmum said...

Just so long as you don't start to go to the childminders in your knickers. It is a slippery slope darling, Ha!

Happy Christmas.

bea x